Chapter 13: Discovery

The next two months passed quickly. Aster spent most of her free time catching up on her studies or practicing her magic in the Cellar. She spent most of her weekends visiting Evania with Sebastian and sometimes Huck would come, too. She provided a lot of relief to Amara, but they still feared that all she was doing was prolonging the inevitable. If they could only just figure out what was making Amara sick, then maybe they could cure her.

  Aster's dream never subsided. They only grew more intense as time went on. Most of them were passive, the same large tree brimming with magic. Sometimes her name was called. The nightmares were very seldom, but when they did come they were almost traumatizing. Aster woke up one morning completely paralyzed with fear, and had to miss class to visit Miss Perrie in order for her to get calmed down. The plan for Aster and Sebastian to visit the Fortis Arbor was still on, Aster just didn't feel ready yet.

  Aster hadn't received any messages from the Faery that she knew about. The more time went on, the less she was convinced that the Faery she met was the one attempting to reach her. The Faery could've easily gone about it in many other ways. Huck eventually became convinced it wasn't the Faery either, but he was still very wary about the situation. Sebastian had told Aster it's best to keep their plan between the two of them for now.

  Eventually, Sebastian's sixteenth birthday was rolling around the corner. Fortunately, it fell on the first day of the weekend, so he could spend it in Evania with his mother. He invited Huck and Aster of course, who were both thrilled to attend.

  By this time, the three Keepers figured out the best bus schedule so they never had to squash into one seat together. The seasons had changed and the days were a bit more brisk in weather. As soon as they pulled to Evania, the air seemed even more nippy than back at the Academy.

  "I swear it has to do with the Greenwood," said Sebastian. "I think it lets off magic to keep it warm enough so the plants don't ever die there."

  The moment they entered the door to Sebastian's cottage, Aster's nose was hit with a wonderful aroma. There was a fresh baked cake sitting on the table in the kitchen, topped with sixteen candles. The outer layer was a bright pink with dark red words that read: HAPPY 16TH BIRTHDAY SEBBY!

  Amara was sitting at the table, looking the best Aster had seen her yet. "Come here my sweet boy. Happy birthday!"

  Sebastian walked right into Amara's arms. She squeezed tightly and planted his cheeks with a dozen kisses. He finally broke away, wiping his face but grinning.

  "Did you make this?"

  Amara nodded. "I did. Thanks to Aster, I had the strength. I'm a little worn down now, so don't expect me to be too much of a party animal."

  "Mum, you shouldn't have."

  "You deserve it. I have one more present for you."

  Amara reached below the table and pulled out a wrapped package. Sebastian ripped into it and pulled off the lid of a brown box. Aster and Huck peered over his shoulder to reveal the gift. It was an elegant suit, dark in color. The material was silk and had a handsome shine to it. Sebastian's mouth gaped open.

  "Where in the galaxy did you get this?" He asked.

  "I've been saving up. I sent Roger to Jobbleville to buy it from a tailor there. I want you to look your very best for the Solstice Ball coming up."

  Sebstian's expression softened. "Mum, I told you. I don't want to go to that if you can't come."

  The Solstice Ball was to take place a month later. It was a special event at the end of the season where the students and parents all attended together. It was the time where parents could visit and catch up with their children and Professors.