Chapter 16: The Solstice Ball

The next morning Sorbit was at Aster's door first thing. Aster was exhausted, and it took Sorbit several knocks to even wake her up. She drug herself to the door and hesitantly opened it.

"Geeze, I didn't think you guys got home that late," said Sorbit.

"We didn't," said Aster. "As always, I couldn't fall asleep right away. And I had a long day."

"Well it's not even that early," said Sorbit. "But we have a lot to do. I have to get you and myself ready for the ball."

"You don't need to get me ready," replied Aster, irritated.

Sorbit glared at Aster trying to decipher if she was joking or being serious. "So you're going to do your own hair, nails, and makeup?"

Aster pondered this, then realized she was grateful Sorbit showed up at her doorstep ready to beauty her up. "Okay, you're right. Just give me a minute to wake up. I need food and hot chocolate."

After eating and adjusting to being awake, Sorbit got started on Aster right away. She saw her dress before doing anything, that way to get an idea of how best to do her makeup and nails. Sorbit was overcome with its beauty, and rambunctiously dug through her things to find the best colors to match.

In the end, she decided to do light makeup, just a touch of glitter and silver around her eyelids, and a light pink blush on her cheeks. She put a light red lipstick on her lips, telling her the color looked amazing with her skin. Finally, she filed her nails back to perfection and painted them a light pink.

Next was her hair. Sorbit curled it into perfect spirals before putting it into an updo. She then decorated it with jewels and glitter, and fixed it so a few spirals hung loose around her face.

Finally, she dug in her box one last time and pulled out a diamond necklace. Aster was in awe with the way it shined, sparkling in hundreds of different spots. Sorbit walked behind Aster, and placed the gem around her neck.

"Oh, Sorbit, I can't.." Aster began.

"Are you joking?" replied Sorbit. "This was made for you."

"I can't..."

"Yes you can. Consider it an early birthday present."

"But..."

"Just shut up and accept my gift! It's rude to not accept a present, you know."

Aster's face burned as red as her lips. It was truly one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen. It was the perfect finishing touch to her attire.

"And what about you?" Aster asked. "You have jewelry to wear?"

"Do you even know me? Of course I do! That diamond does not go with my dress. I have plenty of other beautiful gems to choose from."

Aster suddenly embraced Sorbit tightly.

"Aster, you'll ruin your hair and makeup," Sorbit insisted.

Aster pulled back, grinning. "This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me."

"This is what girlfriends do for each other," Sorbit smiled. Her expression suddenly softened. "I love you, Aster. You deserve all the happiness in the world."

Aster was caught off guard, but appreciated the kind words. "I love you, too, Sorbit. You'll never know how grateful I am for our friendship."

~~

It was nearly time for the ball. Aster was pacing anxiously in her room. Sebastian agreed to meet her outside the female dormitory when it was time, which grew nearer and nearer. Aster couldn't understand why she was so nervous. Not even meeting the Faery caused her stomach to feel so sick.