Chapter 11: Reoccurring Dreams

"Now you kids be safe going home," Amara told the trio, as they stood ready to bear the goodbyes. "And be safe at the Academy. I want you kids to really put in your time and effort into your studies!"

Sebastian wrinkled his nose. "Mum, you've got to stop calling us kids."

Amara let out a soft laugh. "Oh my, you have grown, haven't you? You truly are a fine young man, but no matter what you'll always be my baby."

Sebastian's face burned red. "Muuuuuuum."

Amara laughed some more. "All right, I'm done embarrassing you. That's what mothers are for sometimes, you know?"

Sebastian couldn't fight his smile. "Yeah, yeah."

"Thank you again, for such a pleasant weekend," Huck told Amara.

"Thank you," Amara responded. "I'm so happy you came, Huck. And you, Aster. You two are always welcome in our home. You're part of our family, you know."

The goodbyes were just as bittersweet as the last time. Amara shared a few rounds of hugs and kisses. In some ways it was easier for Sebastian to say goodbye knowing that his mom was feeling better, but in others it was harder. He felt that he was missing out on her good health, and feared it would be gone by the time he came back.

As if Amara could read his mind, she spoke in an attempt to ease his thoughts. "It's only a few days, and then you can come see me again this weekend. You know you can't afford missing any Potion lectures! Your eyebrows have grown in so nicely!"

Sebstian's face burned red, once again. "Am I ever going to live that down? It was one time."

"No, you aren't," Huck snickered.

"I'm only teasing, sweetheart," Amara laughed.

"I must say, it seems he's definitely improved since last year," said Aster. "I wouldn't survive Potions if it wasn't for him."

"Thank you, Aster," Sebastian gleamed. "See, I'm not hopeless."

"Of course not," said Amara. "Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. You can't ever let yourself feel down for not picking up on something right away."

"Have you ever practiced magic?" Aster asked.

"Oh dear no," Amara blushed. "I tried to brew a potion once when I was about your age, and I'd say it turned out worse than Sebastian's small fiasco last year. I left myself, my parents, and our home stinking like rotten eggs for over a week!"

Sebastian laughed. "I get it honestly then."

Amara shook her head. "After that incident, I was too scared to try any other spells. Neither of my parents were magic users. I never really was around it until I met Sebastian's father. He was a Wind Keeper as well."

Sebastian's face seemed to stiffen at the mention of his father.

"I grew up near a small village that didn't practice any magic," Aster's head flowed with memories of her home that was so far away from her. "When I was eleven, we packed up and moved to a new village , where magic was just a little more common. Fortunately I met a apothecary shop owner  who was a decent magic user and healer. I learned a lot from him."

"Sometimes the best teachers are the people around us," Amara concluded. "You three stick together, you'll learn a lot from each other."

Just as the goodbyes were ending, Roger stepped through the door. He had not returned the night before, but Amara told the trio not to fret. She assumed he was overwhelmed with the company. Aster tried to give Roger the benefit of the doubt, considering he's the full caretaker of his ill wife, and she's not sure what that kind of toll that responsibility can take on someone. But it seemed each time she saw him, she got an unsure feeling.