Chapter 8: Amara Crest

Aster decided against telling anybody about her encounter with the Faery. Even Sebastian. She decided it was best to talk to him once they were away from the Academy. She could not risk the Faery catching wind of their conversation, and feeling betrayed.

  Aster stayed in her dorm until classes began the next day. Sorbit nearly jumped her in homeroom. She was practically begging for details of what had occurred over their weekend. Aster was reluctant at first, but Sorbit never eased up.

  "Hush, Sorbit," Aster assertively whispered. "He could hear us." She was talking about Kale, nervous he might overhear he was the topic of their conversation.

  Sorbit rolled her eyes. "Who threw the first cast?"

  "He did, but I pushed him first. Only because he said something so awful to Sebastian."

  "You're the talk of the Academy," Sorbit gushed. "You went toe to toe with Kale Maverick. How are your arms?"

  Aster glanced down to her bandage. She had forgotten to see Miss Perrie the night prior, so she had made a home visit to change Aster's bandages.

  "I'm okay," Aster said. "It's already healing very quickly. Miss Perrie was surprised when she changed the bandage last night."

  "I'm glad you're okay," Sorbit said. "Seriously, nobody beats Kale Maverick."

  "I wouldn't say I beat him. If anything it was a draw.  Thank goodness Professor Heathcliff came out and stopped us."

  The bell had run, Sebastian gliding in at the very last second. Aster didn't really get a chance to talk to him until after class had finished and even then he seemed like he was trying to race out. Aster had to holler his name, causing her to blush once multiple people turned to look at her.

  Sebastian stopped in his tracks, just outside the door and waited for Aster to catch up. She felt silly, she could just talk to him in Potions, but she felt anxious to speak to him now. All she wanted to do was tell him about the encounter with the Faery.

  "How was your visit?" She asked when she caught up to him.

  Sebastian shrugged. "I'm grateful I was able to see her. As luck would have it, Roger actually went out since I was there. You actually gave me the idea to initiate it, I told him it had probably been a while since he had gone out and enjoyed himself. My mum helped by insisting the same."

  Aster smiled. She was happy to see Sebastian focus on the positive, she couldn't bring herself to ask about her health. "I'm glad. Sorry I stopped you."

  "No problem. How are you feeling?"

  "Healing as fast as can be," Aster assured.

  "I'm glad to hear. I gotta run though, I'll see you in Potions."

  When it came time for Potions, Aster arrived before anybody else. Only a few people began to shuffle in as she sat at her desk, waiting for her friend. She was focused on twiddling her thumbs when she sensed a presence approaching her. She looked up and nearly jumped out of her skin when she saw Professor Heathcliff mere inches from her desk. The moment her eyes locked with his, he lowered his gaze to the floor. It was a moment before he finally spoke.

  "How are your injuries?" His tone was the soft, uneasy note he used only when he spoke directly to Aster.

  Aster glanced at her arms. "They're okay. I heal really fast, so I should be able to lose the bandages in a few days."

  He nodded, staring at her arms where the burns hid under the white dressings. It seemed he wanted to say more, but couldn't find the words.

  "Thank you," she said. "For coming to help."