Ch. 16

𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗬𝗡'𝗦 𝗣𝗢𝗩

"can you pass me those mustard greens baby?" Ms. Mamie asked.

i smiled and handed her the ceramic bowl full of greens.

"so sevyn, tell me more about yourself. what do you like to do for hobbies? do you work?" sosa's mother asked.

when i first got here i was welcomed by a short brown skinned women, with freshly pressed salt and pepper hair.

she had introduced herself as Amina Tucker, but assured me i could call her Mama T since she says "Cortez" never brings anyone home.

𝘴𝘰 𝘐 𝘨𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘪𝘥 𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴....

"i work in the quality assurance department for my job, i also write poetry and do music in my spare time," i said shyly while shoveling a fork of mac n cheese in my mouth.

i looked up to see Sosa smiling while i spoke and i could feel myself blushing before i finished.

"that's beautiful! do you mind singing something for me? i'm a gospel girl myself!" Ms. Mamie blurted out.

"nooo mim she-" Sosa started, but before he could continue i began singing "I Won't Complain"

i closed my eyes and let the words flow.

feeling the depth of the words rattle my chest as i belted them out.

once i was done, i looked down and the room was still

i looked up to both Ms.Mamie and Mama T with tear stained cheeks. 

"wow" Mama T whispered as she dried her eyes.

"that's not talent baby... that's a-noy-TING!" Ms. Mamie said, clapping her hands in emphasis.

"that was.... wow Sevyn" Sosa said pulling me into a small hug.

"i can tell you're a good girl. church raised. raised by wise folk." Mama T said with confidence, but she winked at me.

"come on here boy, help me clear this table so we can cut cake!" Ms. Mamie said standing.

Sosa rolled his eyes and smiled showing those VVs again.

"aight Mimi" he stood, taking both of our plates.

as those two took away the leftovers, Mama T leaned over close to me.

"i can tell something happened to you baby... you don't have to speak now but the tone when you sing and those big brown eyes say so much more..." she said softly.

she grabbed my hand and looked me in my
eye.

"i know good people baby and that gift has found it's way to my son... and that boy? has never brought a girl home in his 20 something of living..." she looked behind me and smiled and i knew she was looking at him.

"when you're ready to talk, im here to listen. don't sleep, cause Mama T done seen some things too!" she said with her NY accent seeping through.

we laughed, cause Sosa to peep his head around the corner at us.

"now come on, let me show you Cortez dressed up like Beetlejuice for Halloween when he was 7 yrs old!" Mama T cackled and stood from the dinner table.

"here you go!" said Sosa setting down my piece of cake.

"Mimi! where them Freaknik pictures you said you found of ma?!" Sosa said with a smirk.

my mouth dropped open and Mama T had stopped in her tracks.

"boy i cant tell you SHIT! oop! see! ya got me cussin'!" Mimi said standing in the kitchen with her hands on her hips.

"Mama really?!" Mama T cried!

me and Sosa doubled over in laughter.

𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘐 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 ...

--------------------------------

𝖽𝗈 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗄 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗒'𝗅𝗅 𝗆𝖺𝗄𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝖺𝗇 𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗋𝗒 𝖲𝗎𝗇𝖽𝖺𝗒 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗀?

𝗐𝗁𝖺𝗍 𝖽𝗈 𝗒𝖺𝗅𝗅 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗄 𝖺𝖻𝗈𝗎𝗍 𝖲𝖾𝗏𝗒𝗇 & 𝖬𝖺𝗆𝖺 𝖳'𝗌 𝗁𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗍-𝗍𝗈-𝗁𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗍?

- 𝓈𝒶𝒹𝒾𝓉𝓎 𝓈𝓂ℴℴ𝒸𝒽 💋