Parting

Everything was silent.
Minuit didn't know what time it was, he could only guess it was early in the morning. He was just standing there. This might be the first time in two whole years that Shigure had saw him, and she already had to stop Minuit from beating up someone. Yes, it was essentially to protect Azuki from Charlie who somehow decided it was a good idea to threaten to force himself on her, but he was still ashamed that this is the first thing Shigure sees of him.

- "I.. uh.."
Minuit prepared himself for this moment and yet, now that it had come, he had lost his words.

Of course, now that the adrenaline was slowly going down, he felt his head start to spin, he didn't sober up, the hit to Charlie only connected because he acted on instinct, in the spur of the moment.

He recognized Maple and Cinnamon, who he now had time to notice how much they've grown in two years, compared to earlier in the day. Azuki was also near him, silent like he never saw her. She was usually the one to break awkward silences, but, this time, she was silent. There was also another girl, who he didn't know.
This situation was extremely stressful to Minuit. He didn't know what to say, thinking anything he might say will be held against him, still affected by Maple's earlier reaction to his presence. The fact that Charlie threw him in the mud, dirtying the cuts he received from the fights he had earlier this day with his friend, didn't help him think clear, they hurt a lot.

Minuit wanted to say something, do something, even if it's apologizing, but the stress was so great that he could barely use his legs, like they were frozen.

This was all he could do before alcohol regained it's effect, having him fall to the ground, falling asleep once again. It wasn't a secret for anyone. Minuit might like drinking alcohol, his resistance to it is nearly nonexistent.

- Charlie -

After running for a while, without anyone on my back this time, I was still in the neighborhood. Thinking that this is far enough to make the call I wanted to do, I sat down on the asphalt, and pulled out my phone, making a call.

"Can't find the house?"

- Haha. Very funny, Tomas."

"There's no way you found it alone."

- "Not if you consider the fact that the house is as massive as a damn mansion."

"... This might be helpful, you're right. Anyways, what's up?"

- "I dropped him. I just need to know when can I get out of the country."

"Didn't you say you'd stay to observe him for like a week or two?"

- "Well, yeah, but things have changed, kinda."

"Did you get in trouble? Again?"

- "Let's just say, a cat was defending her territory and I may or may not have threatened to.. uh.. "do stuff" with her, whether she liked it or not, if she didn't listen, leading to Nuit giving me a drunkard punch. For my defense-"

- "Charlie. I don't need excuses from you. I'm not saying that you did wrong but- Oh, who am I kidding."

Tomas dropped the "understanding superior" act he decided to do. This usually meant that he was relaxed, or that he was about to prepare himself to give me the beating of my life.

- "You may have acted in the heat of the moment, but this was beyond wrong. There will be consequences and you know it. For right now, just go back to the boss. He might want to have a word with you. We'll talk more about your punishment once your plane lands. I'll send someone to give your ticket"

Truth is, I wanted to scream at him for punishing me for something like that, but I knew he was right. There was a difference between then and when I was on the job. This was just me keeping an eye on Nuit until midnight. I could've handled the midget better. Even knocking out the small one was better.

- "Alright. You're the boss."

I bluntly replied to him, ending the call. I wasn't angry, just annoyed.

For the next few dozens of minute following this, I walked in silence towards where I left my car.
After reaching it, I opened it, grabbing a pack of cigarettes that was left on my seat.

- "Can only hope he'll be alright." I was talking to myself. "Has been a pleasure knowing this guy. As for me, I should just enjoy the sight. Might be the last time I get the occasion to see it, anyways."

Leaning against my car, I lit one of the cigarettes and started smoking, admiring the view of Tokyo waking up.

The ambient silence, at the exception of night hours places and the few drunk salarymen still in the street at this hour, had something calming about it, somehow.

- "Haa.." After a few minutes of silence, I sighed. "I told myself I'd drop the stuff, but here I am, again. I really am unfixable, huh."

I threw what was left of the still burning cigarette on the ground, and entered my car, hoping I could lay down on the back seats and maybe catch up on an hour or two of sleep before I have to leave.

Arc 1 // Hello, Japan - END