• 23 •

As soon as Patrick saw Isabella click her seatbelt he took off not wanting to be there any longer. Isabella had no emotion on her face. Her eyes were watery but her face was completely blank. Isabella could feel a panic attack coming and was trying to calm herself but the loud crash of the snow globe, Her dad's yelling, and the face of the little girl as they passed the hallway, were running through her head repeatedly. images of when she was little in a similar situation kept flashing in her head and she was starting to feel dizzy.

Patrick drove away from her dad's house till he thought they were far enough and pulled over.
"Izzy?" He said and Isabella looked at him.
Patrick immediately could tell something was wrong.
"It's ok baby, you're safe." He said but Isabella started shaking her head as tears rolled down her face. Then tears turned into sobbing.
"I- can't- Breathe." She let out. Patrick got out of the car and went over to her side and opened the door.
"Hey, Hey, hey, Look at me. Focus on me." Patrick said then led her through some deep breaths. Isabella started to calm down a little bit and Patrick started to ask her questions to distract her.
"Izzy, what are 3 things you can see?" He asked. "Y-you, uh... Grass, the car." She replied and Patrick smiled.
"Good job, now what are 2 things you can smell?" He asked.
"You, and, and the car," Isabella said calming down even more.
"Good, one more. 2 things you can feel." He said grabbed her hands then kissed the back of both of them.
"Your hands. And your lips." She replied.
"Good job baby," He said unbuckling her seatbelt. Then guided her out of the car and he sat down then onto his lap and held her. Isabella didn't say anything but laid her head on his shoulder and took in his scent.
"Thank you for being there and protecting me." Isabella softly said.
"Don't thank me for that Izzy, I'll always protect you." He said and kissed the top of her head.
"Maybe we should head home," Patrick suggested but Isabella shook her head.
"No, I need to see my mom." She said and Patrick sighed.
"OK, we should get going on then. I just want to go home and cuddle you." He said then set her back into her seat and went back to the driver's side.
"Me too but you know as soon as we get home Mia is going to want to open presents." Isabella reminded him.

They arrived at her mom's place and before they could even knock Isabella's mom opened the door.
"Isabella! How are you?" She asked and pulled Isabella into a hug. Isabella held her breath in the hug not wanting to smell strong scents of alcohol, smoke, and weed. All mixed.
"I'm good Mom, how are you?" She asked back.
"I'm wonderful come in. And who's this handsome fella?" Isabella cringed as she watched her mom run her hands up and down Patrick's arm to feel his biceps.
"This is my Boyfriend. Patrick." She introduced then sat on the couch with Patrick. "Nice to meet you, Patrick." Her mom said.
"You too ma'am." He replied.
Isabella looked around the room and was slightly creeped out by how many dolls there were.
"What's with the dolls?" Isabella questioned.
"Oh! They watch over me and bring me good luck and fortune!" Her mom replied and Patrick looked at Isabella concerned.
"If you want I can give you one!" She said and Isabella politely declined.
"No thank you, but I do have a gift for you," Isabella said then gave her the box. Her mom opened it and her smile fell for a second.
"A snow globe. Of our old home." Her mom said then shook the globe. She walked over to her snow globe shelf and placed it in an empty space.
"Well, now I feel bad that I didn't get you anything, are you sure you don't want a doll? They look after you and keep the nightmares away." Isabella felt sadness in her heart at her mom's comment.
"Don't feel bad mom, I wanted to get you a gift. I didn't expect anything in return." Isabella explained.
"Patrick, would you like one?" She asked.
"No thank you." He said as politely as he could.
"If you guys change your mind let me know... I even have one that loves to sing, just like you."

She pointed to the doll who had long brown hair, brown eyes, and a shirt that Isabella could have sworn she had as a kid. Next to that doll was a boy doll with short brown hair, brown eyes, and a shirt that looked a lot like her brother's. Isabella felt sadness for her mom once she realized who those dolls were meant to be.

"That's cool Mom, I'm glad they watch over you," Isabella said.
"Where did you find these dolls?" Patrick asks curiously.
"I didn't find them, they found me." She replied with a smile. Patrick didn't know what to say so he smiled back at her.
"It was good to see you Mom, but we should get going," Isabella said and she could see the sadness on her mom's face.
"Oh, ok." She said sadly.
"Will you come back?" She asked and Isabella nodded.
"I'll come back," Isabella told her and she smiled
"Good," Her mom said and walked them to the door.
"It was nice meeting you ma'am," Patrick said.
"You too, be good to my Daughter." She told him and hugged Isabella.
"Always," Patrick said.

They got into the car and Patrick started driving to his parent's house.
"That wasn't too bad," Patrick said and Isabella agreed.
"Yeah, it just makes me sad to see my mother like that," Isabella admitted and Patrick put his hand on her thigh.
"I mean can you blame her? Her husband used to beat her till she passed out. her only son left without a word and her daughter barely visits, or calls." Isabella ranted.
"Izzy, you can't blame yourself for how your mother is. Your father traumatized all of you and you guys needed to heal in your own way." He told her deep down Isabella knew he was right but she couldn't help but feel guilty.

Patrick and Isabell pulled up to the house and went inside. And was greeted by a screaming Mia.
"Yay! They're here! Present time!" She yelled jumping up and down. Patrick was about to ask if they could do presents later but Isabella interrupted him.
"Let us get into PJs first, then we can start if it's OK with your mom," Isabella told Mia and she looked at her mom with pleading eyes.
"Ok, but you guys take your time there's no rush," Randi said. Isabella grabbed Patrick's hand and guided him upstairs.
"Izzy, I'm sure my family will understand if you want to do presents later. It's been a long day and I don't want to overwhelm or overexhaust you." Patrick said once they entered their room.
"Pat, right now I need a distraction," Isabella said honestly.
"OK, but if you need a break let me know," Patrick said.

They both changed into matching Christmas pajamas and then went downstairs to a very excited Mia.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Don't forget to like/vote! And don't be a ghost reader! I love reading the comments. If you have any questions let me know!