Chapter 9: Whispers of Change and a Family Dinner

The following days were a whirlwind of whispered promises and stolen glances. The news of their engagement, kept a secret for now, filled their hearts with a giddy excitement. Arjun, ever the pragmatist, knew they couldn't keep their newfound love a secret forever. The question loomed large – how to break the news, especially to Dadi Maa, who had orchestrated their union.

One evening, as they sat nestled on the balcony, watching the city lights twinkle into life, Arjun decided to broach the subject. "Aditi," he began, his voice laced with a hint of nervousness, "we need to talk about... telling everyone."

Aditi turned to face him, her hand instinctively reaching for his. "I know," she admitted, her voice soft. "I've been thinking about it too."

"Dadi Maa... how do you think she'll react?" Arjun's voice held a flicker of concern. Dadi Maa's approval was important to both of them.

Aditi squeezed his hand reassuringly. "She's a wise woman, Arjun. I believe she'll understand, especially when she sees how happy we are together."

He smiled, a genuine warmth radiating from his eyes. "Happy... yes, that's the right word. I never thought I'd find this kind of happiness in an arranged marriage."

Aditi chuckled, a playful glint in her eyes. "Neither did I, Mr. Rathore. But then again, life has a funny way of surprising us."

They fell into a comfortable silence, their fingers intertwined, enjoying the quiet intimacy of the moment. As the stars began to shimmer in the night sky, Arjun spoke again, his voice filled with a quiet determination.

"We can't keep this a secret forever," he said. "Maybe... maybe we could invite everyone over for dinner next week. Announce our engagement then."

Aditi's eyes widened in surprise. "A dinner party? Here? Wouldn't it be better to..."

"Here, at home," he interrupted, his gaze meeting hers. "This is where it all began, Aditi. And besides, I want everyone to see us together, like this." He gestured to their entwined hands, a silent declaration of their love.

Aditi felt a warmth blossom in her chest. Arjun's protectiveness, his desire to declare their love openly, touched her deeply. "Alright," she agreed, a smile curving her lips. "Dinner party it is. But we need to warn Dadi Maa beforehand, soften the blow."

The following days were a flurry of activity. Aditi, with the help of the household staff, meticulously planned the dinner party. Arjun, meanwhile, braced himself for the conversation with Dadi Maa.

Finally, finding her in the library surrounded by her beloved books, Arjun cleared his throat, his heart pounding slightly. "Dadi Maa," he began, his voice hesitant.

Dadi Maa looked up, a knowing smile playing on her lips. "Ah, Arjun. Come in, come in. What's troubling you?"

Arjun hesitated for a moment, then took a deep breath. "Dadi Maa, there's something Aditi and I need to tell you. It's about our... marriage."

Dadi Maa's smile widened, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "Your marriage, you say?" she prompted, her voice gentle.

Arjun felt his cheeks flushing, but he continued. "It's... it's not what we expected. We... well, we've grown closer, Dadi Maa. We've fallen in love."

Dadi Maa's smile softened as she listened intently. Once Arjun finished, a warm smile bloomed on her face. "Love," she whispered, the word holding a wealth of meaning.

"I'm not surprised, Arjun," she continued, her voice filled with warmth. "There was always a spark between you two, even if you didn't see it at first."