Chapter 25: A Bump in the Road (and Between the Sheets)

UPDATES EVERY SATURDAY!!!

Life in their new apartment hummed with a comforting rhythm. Breakfast conversations were filled with laughter as they debated the merits of oat milk versus the classic full-fat variety. Evenings were spent snuggled on the couch, watching movies or catching up on their favorite shows, the sounds of their laughter echoing through the apartment. Their weekends were a mix of exploring hidden gems in the city, trying out new restaurants, and catching up with friends.

One sunny Saturday afternoon, Arjun was engrossed in a video game while Aditi browsed through fashion magazines on the couch. Suddenly, her phone buzzed. It was a message from Riya.

Hey Aditi! Long time no chat! Hope you're doing well. Guess what? I'm back in Mumbai! Would love to catch up sometime. Drinks? Coffee? You name it!

Aditi reread the message, a frown creasing her forehead. Riya's sudden reappearance felt... unexpected. Since their tearful apology on the wedding day, their contact had been limited to occasional social media likes and polite greetings at mutual friends' gatherings. Arjun, glancing up from his game, noticed the change in her expression.

"Everything alright?" he asked.

She sighed, showing him the message. "It's Riya. She's back in town and wants to catch up."

A flicker of discomfort crossed Arjun's face, a memory of the manipulative texts surfacing in his mind. "What do you want to do?"

"I don't know," Aditi admitted, her voice laced with uncertainty. "Part of me wants to ignore it, but another part feels like we should at least hear her out."

Arjun put down his controller and came to sit beside her. "Listen," he said softly, wrapping an arm around her shoulders, "whatever decision you make is fine by me. But personally, I think you might be setting yourself up for unnecessary drama."

Aditi nodded slowly. Riya's past behavior still left a bitter taste in her mouth. Yet, the idea of slamming the door shut on any potential for reconciliation felt... uncharacteristically close-minded.

"How about this," Arjun suggested, "you reply and tell her you're busy this weekend, but maybe you can get together sometime next week. That way, you're not shutting her out completely, but you're also giving yourself some time to think."

A smile spread across Aditi's face. "That's perfect! You're a genius, Arjun."

She typed a quick reply to Riya, following Arjun's suggestion. The message sent, a sense of relief washed over her. Maybe it was best to approach this cautiously.

The following week, however, brought a new wave of unease. Aditi noticed Arjun becoming increasingly withdrawn, spending more time at work and less time engaged in their usual playful banter. One evening, after a particularly long day for Arjun, she decided to confront him.

"Arjun," she began, her voice filled with concern, "is everything alright? You seem... distant lately."

He looked up from his phone, a tired sigh escaping his lips. "Just work stuff," he mumbled, avoiding her gaze.

Aditi wasn't convinced. She walked over and sat down beside him, placing a hand on his arm. "Come on, you can tell me. Is something bothering you?"

He hesitated for a moment before speaking. "It's Riya," he confessed, finally meeting her eyes. "I saw her at the office today."

A jolt of surprise ran through Aditi. "Riya? At your office?"

He nodded. "Apparently, she started a new job at the company across the hall. We bumped into each other in the elevator. She looked..." He trailed off, searching for the right words.