Chapter 13: Unveiling the Deception

The farmhouse on the outskirts of town appeared much like Dadi Maa had described – a dilapidated structure with peeling paint and overgrown weeds choking the yard. An unsettling aura hung around the place, a stark contrast to the cheerful bustle of the village they'd just left behind.

Arjun squeezed Aditi's hand reassuringly as they stepped out of the car. "Ready?" he asked, his voice barely a whisper.

Aditi took a deep breath, forcing a smile. "As ready as we'll ever be," she replied, her voice laced with a hint of nervousness.

Together, they walked towards the creaky wooden porch. A handwritten sign propped against the door declared "Farm for Sale." Arjun reached for the rusty doorknob, his heart pounding against his ribs.

The door creaked open, revealing a dimly lit interior with dust motes dancing in the faint sunlight filtering through the grimy windows. A figure emerged from the shadows, a lean man with a scruffy beard and shifty eyes.

"Can I help you?" he rasped, his voice rough and gravelly.

"We saw the sign," Arjun began, adopting a relaxed posture. "We're a young couple looking to invest in some farmland."

The man's gaze flickered between them, a hint of suspicion lingering in his eyes. "Interested in this place, are you?" he asked, his voice dripping with skepticism.

Aditi chimed in, her voice bright and bubbly. "It has a certain... rustic charm," she remarked, forcing a smile.

The man snorted. "Charm, eh? More like a fixer-upper." He gestured vaguely around the room. "But it's got good land."

Arjun, subtly taking in the surroundings, noticed a faint flicker of movement in the corner of his eye. He caught a glimpse of expensive-looking shoes disappearing behind a tattered curtain. His heart lurched. Could that be...?

"So," the man continued, his voice low and conspiratorial. "What are your intentions, exactly?"

Arjun cleared his throat, forcing his voice to sound casual. "We're just starting out, you see. Don't have too much experience."

"Experience, eh?" The man chuckled humorlessly. "There's things you city folks wouldn't understand about farm life." He leaned in closer, his voice dropping to a raspy whisper. "Especially the kind of business this farm deals in."

Arjun's blood ran cold. This was more than just a meeting with a potential seller. This was a confirmation of their suspicions.

"What kind of business?" Aditi asked, her voice steady despite the tremor of fear.

The man's eyes flickered with surprise at her question, then a sly grin spread across his face. Just as he was about to elaborate, a voice boomed from behind the tattered curtain.

"What's going on here, Henry?"

The man, seemingly startled, turned towards the source of the voice. Arjun and Aditi followed his gaze, their eyes widening in shock. It was Veer, looking surprisingly disheveled, his expensive suit replaced by worn jeans and a wrinkled shirt.

Veer's eyes widened as he saw them. For a fleeting moment, a flicker of panic crossed his face, then it was replaced by a cold fury.

"Arjun? Aditi?" he spat, his voice laced with venom. "What are you doing here?"

The man, Henry, stammered, clearly flustered by the unexpected development. "Mr. Rathore... I... they were interested..."

Veer cut him off with a dismissive wave of his hand. "This doesn't concern you, Henry. Go about your business."