Chapter 21: Mending the Cracks

Aditi stumbled out of the park, the grainy video replaying on a loop in her mind. The woman's venomous words echoed in her ears, fueling the storm of emotions raging within her. Tears streamed down her face, a mixture of betrayal, anger, and a deep, gnawing pain.

Reaching her apartment building, she entered in a daze, ignoring the surprised greetings of her neighbors. Inside, the familiar sight of their cozy apartment only amplified the emptiness she felt. Arjun wasn't home yet. A sliver of hope flickered – maybe he could explain the video, offer some plausible explanation for his meeting with Anjali. But the doubt remained, a bitter taste in her mouth.

Hours ticked by, each minute stretching into an eternity. Just as despair began to consume her, the door creaked open and Arjun rushed in, his face etched with worry.

"Aditi!" he exclaimed, relief flooding his features when he spotted her curled up on the couch. "Where have you been? I've been calling you all night!"

He rushed to her side, concern laced in his voice. But Aditi flinched away from his touch, her gaze fixed on the coffee table.

"Don't touch me," she whispered, her voice raw with emotion.

Arjun's brow furrowed in confusion. "Aditi, what's wrong? Did something happen?"

She remained silent, her gaze flicking towards the phone lying on the table. Arjun followed her line of sight, his eyes widening in understanding. He picked up the phone, a grim expression settling on his face as he recognized the grainy video.

"Where did you get this?" he demanded, his voice tight with a mixture of anger and fear.

Aditi finally met his gaze, her eyes blazing with hurt. "Someone sent it to me," she choked out. "Someone who wants me to believe you're a liar."

Arjun sighed, a defeated slump to his shoulders. He sat down beside her, placing a gentle hand on her arm. "Aditi, listen to me," he pleaded, his voice sincere. "That video... it's not what it seems. Anjali and I ran into each other at a bar a few weeks ago. We talked for a bit, catching up on old times. That's all."

"But what about the woman?" Aditi countered, her voice trembling slightly. "She said you told her things about being stuck, about wanting someone better."

Arjun's eyes widened. "The woman? Who was this woman?"

Aditi recounted her encounter in the park, the stranger's bitter words and the accusation of betrayal. As she spoke, a flicker of recognition dawned on Arjun's face.

"I think I know who that might be," he muttered, a grim expression settling on his features.

He explained about Riya, his childhood friend who'd harbored a secret crush on him for years. He hadn't spoken to her in ages, and the idea of her resorting to such tactics filled him with disgust.

"She's probably jealous," Arjun concluded, taking Aditi's hand in his. "But Aditi, please, you have to believe me. There's nothing between me and Anjali. You're the only one I want, the only one I love."

Aditi stared into his eyes, searching for any hint of deception. This time, however, all she saw was raw honesty and a desperate plea for her trust. His touch, usually a source of comfort, now sent a tremor through her – a tremor of longing mixed with lingering suspicion.

"How can I believe you, Arjun?" she whispered, tears welling up in her eyes again. "That video... it's hard to ignore."

Arjun cupped her face in his hands, his touch gentle yet firm. "Look at me, Aditi," he said, his voice a low rumble. "We need to talk, to get to the bottom of this. But right now, all I want to do is hold you, to remind you how much you mean to me."