Chapter 20: Cracks in the Facade

The weeks following Anjali's departure were a honeymoon phase for Aditi and Arjun. The pre-monsoon humidity had given way to lush greenery and the city pulsed with a renewed energy that mirrored their own. Arjun, ever the supportive husband, surprised Aditi with tickets to a music festival featuring her favorite band. They danced under the starlit sky, lost in the music and each other's embrace. Aditi, in turn, surprised him with a weekend getaway to a charming beach town, their laughter echoing amidst the crashing waves.

However, beneath the surface of their happiness, a subtle unease began to take root. Anjali's lingering presence, fueled by a carefully crafted social media presence filled with photos of her and Arjun in "platonic" poses, began to sow seeds of doubt in Aditi's mind. The playful banter and lingering touches she'd witnessed at the farewell party replayed in her head, morphing into something more sinister with each passing day.

One evening, as they curled up on the couch after dinner, scrolling through their social media feeds, Aditi came across a seemingly harmless post. It was a picture of Anjali, standing on a Mumbai rooftop overlooking the city, a breathtaking sunset as the backdrop. But what sent a jolt of unease through Aditi was the caption: "Missing those rooftop talks with a special someone. Can't wait for our next reunion, A!"

Her heart hammered against her ribs. "A"? Could Anjali be referring to Arjun? A wave of nausea washed over her. She tried to dismiss it as harmless nostalgia, but the seed of suspicion had been planted.

"Hey," Arjun nudged her playfully. "Lost in your phone again? What are you looking at?"

Aditi hesitated, then showed him the post. "It's just... Anjali's post," she mumbled, trying to sound casual.

Arjun glanced at the picture, his brow furrowing slightly. "Huh. Looks like she's settling into Mumbai life."

"Yeah," Aditi forced a smile. But her mind was racing. "Do you think... do you think 'A' could be you?"

Arjun chuckled, a hint of amusement in his voice. "Aditi, come on. She has tons of friends there. It could be anyone."

His words were logical, but the doubt lingered in Aditi's heart. She decided to probe further, her voice laced with a hint of insecurity. "But you were close, right? You spent a lot of time together growing up."

"We were friends, Aditi," Arjun reassured her, his hand reaching for hers. "But that was a lifetime ago. Besides, you're the one I want to be sharing rooftop talks with now."

His words were comforting, but the unease wouldn't completely subside. The following days were strained, punctuated by a subtle shift in their dynamic. Arjun, sensing her withdrawal, became increasingly affectionate, showering her with compliments and surprise gifts. Aditi, however, found herself withdrawing further, her mind consumed by the doubts gnawing at her.

One afternoon, while Arjun was at work, Aditi received a text message from an unknown number. It contained a single picture: Arjun and Anjali, laughing together at a crowded bar. The picture, grainy and obviously taken without their knowledge, sent a fresh wave of panic through Aditi. Who could have sent this? And what did it mean?

Her phone buzzed again. This time, it was a text message. "Looks like your husband isn't as faithful as you think. - A Friend"

Aditi's blood ran cold. This wasn't a harmless social media post. This was a deliberate attempt to create a misunderstanding. Tears welled up in her eyes, blurring her vision.

Suddenly, her phone rang. It was Arjun. Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to answer.

"Hey, beautiful," Arjun's voice came through the phone, warm and inviting. "Just checking in. Miss you already."