Chapter 5: take me by the hand

Summary:

Tony gets advice from Rhodey, and then he meets up with Hari for lunch.

Chapter title:
I'm With You - Avril Lavigne

Notes:

Timeline:
[x] (2012) The Avengers
[x] (2013) Iron Man 3
[x] (2013) We are here
[ ] (2013) Thor: The Dark World
[ ] (2014) Captain America: The Winter Soldier; Guardians of the Galaxy; Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
[ ] (2015) Avengers: Age of Ultron; Ant-Man
[ ] (2016) Captain America: Civil War; Spider-Man: Homecoming
[ ] (2017) Doctor Strange; Black Panther; Thor: Ragnarok
[ ] (2018) Avengers: Infinity War

Tony isn't at all surprised by the morning papers. There's a variety of headlines, most of them sensational, but all basically say: "TONY STARK MOVING ON!" He has to hand it to the paparazzi; they chose excellent pictures from the gala. On the left is a picture of him and Hari, dancing.

It's bizarre because he doesn't really know her other than in the biblical sense, but the two of them only have eyes for each other in the picture. He's utterly relaxed, an easy-going smile on his face, and she looks completely captivated, like there's nowhere else she'd rather be but in his arms.

She looks at him the way Pepper used to.

And on the right is a picture of him and Pepper, obviously in the middle of their very heated discussion last night. This is the Pepper he's become accustomed to lately, eyes narrowed, mouth pursed, so apparently displeased, unhappy, looking at Tony like he's the cause of all her problems.

The gossip rag speculates, "Last night, Tony Stark and Hari Potter, co-CEO of Evans Company, shared quite the dance! The pair (left) can be seen on the dance floor, grabbing the attention of everyone at the gala. Unfortunately for the pair, Pepper Potts, CEO of Stark Industries and Tony Stark's ex, was not happy with our favorite superhero moving on, and the pair (right) were seen exchanging unpleasantries. Will this mean drama for the budding romance?"

Another tabloid has an even better image, one of Hari and Tony walking back to his car from their rendezvous underneath the pier, hand in hand, his jacket chivalrously thrown over her shoulders, their bare feet squishing against the sand. It looks like a romantic walk under the cover of night, secretive, personal.

Tony stares at the picture curiously. He hadn't seen any paparazzi at the beach last night, although they're incredibly lucky pictures weren't taken until they were decent again. For a second, he wonders if Hari had tipped off the papers. It's not like she has a reason or need to, but Tony has been blindsided before and experience has left him wary.

"This is a mess," Tony says under his breath, sighing.

"Sir, Colonel Rhodes is on the line," JARVIS informs him.

Tony accepts the call, greets, "Honeybear!"

"Tones, have you neglected to tell me something? Me, your best friend in this entire universe?"

Tony gasps. "Why, I never! I'm so appalled you would even say that, platypus!"

Rhodey sounds amused. "Okay, okay, I get it. You were wanting to see where this goes, and then you were going to tell me. Nah, that's cool. I can respect that," he muses. "But, you know, I did tell you about Gina back in college, and then there was Carol, and—"

Tony snorts, barks out a laugh. "In all seriousness, my boo-boo schnoockums—"

"If you ever call me that again—"

"There is nothing going on between me and Hari. I hardly know her."

"Ya know, a picture is worth a thousand words, and this picture here says you're a lying liar who lies."