Chapter 7: this is my kiss goodbye

Summary:

Tony and Pepper talk.

Chapter title:
Set It All Free - Scarlett Johnasson

Notes:

Timeline:
[x] (2012) The Avengers
[x] (2013) Iron Man 3
[x] (2013) We are here
[ ] (2013) Thor: The Dark World
[ ] (2014) Captain America: The Winter Soldier; Guardians of the Galaxy; Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
[ ] (2015) Avengers: Age of Ultron; Ant-Man
[ ] (2016) Captain America: Civil War; Spider-Man: Homecoming
[ ] (2017) Doctor Strange; Black Panther; Thor: Ragnarok
[ ] (2018) Avengers: Infinity War

Tony laughs at the picture Hari texts him. She's standing in the middle of two boys, both who look horribly embarrassed by her gaudy clothes. Her hair is in two pigtails, one side green with silver highlights, the other yellow with black highlights. It's obvious why she's dressed that way; each boy is sporting one of those combinations in the weirdest clothes Tony's ever seen. His hands itch as he fights the urge to google sports in Scotland to compare uniforms.

It's adorable, how she's shorter than her two children. The tallest one with black hair, Teddy, has a good three inches on her, and the blond is not far behind him.

DUM-E whirrs and beeps over his shoulder, mechanical claw gently tapping Hari's image on the screen.

"Yeah, I do think you'll get to meet this one," Tony murmurs. He pats DUM-E's claw, grabs a spare tennis ball from his work bench and tosses it. "Go play with your brothers."

DUM-E chases after the ball, U and Butterfingers hot on his trail, excited beeping and whirring putting a smile on Tony's face.

"Sir? Miss Potts is requesting to meet with you," JARVIS says.

Tony roughly rubs his face. "Is it too much to ask for some peace?" he groans.

"I can deny her request, sir." JARVIS's tone suggests he would like to, something which honestly surprises Tony a little. He typically likes Pepper.

"J, buddy, are you doing okay?"

"Of course, sir." JARVIS sounds hesitant.

Tony looks at the ceiling in mild alarm. "J, you know you can tell me anything, right?"

JARVIS actually sighs. "I might be too forward in saying this, sir, but I have found myself becoming...irritated...with Miss Potts' behavior towards you. Despite your requests for space, she does not seem so inclined to grant you that. And I find myself at a loss because Miss Potts is an intelligent woman; she should know when she's not wanted," he adds waspishly.

Tony's eyes widen. "Wow," Tony whispers. He clears his throat. "JARVIS, you know, sometimes love makes people do crazy things. Pepper, she was the longest relationship I ever had. And our break-up has affected the both of us differently."

"Regardless, your request was not a difficult one to abide by," JARVIS says stubbornly, irritated.

He smiles at that, happy with the solidarity. "I appreciate you having my back, J, but that might actually be my fault," he admits. "I've never been good at establishing and sticking to boundaries. Pepper's not acting any differently than before."

"That doesn't make it right."

"No, it doesn't. That's why I want you to tell her to come up."

"Sir, is that—"

"Pepper and I are adults. We are going to have an adult conversation, and I will let her know, in no uncertain terms, that her behavior is no longer acceptable," Tony continues.

JARVIS falls silent, then says, quite sullenly, "Of course, sir."

It makes Tony smile, because this is just more proof how advanced JARVIS is, evidence of how far he's come since he first went online. JARVIS is technically the baby of the family, but he's so intelligent, capable of processing human emotions, every bit a Stark.