Chapter 18: one step closer

Summary:

Hari talks to her sons about meeting Tony.

Chapter title:
A Thousand Years - Christina Perri

Notes:

Timeline:
[x] (2012) The Avengers
[x] (2013) Iron Man 3
[x] (2013) We are here
[ ] (2013) Thor: The Dark World
[ ] (2014) Captain America: The Winter Soldier; Guardians of the Galaxy; Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
[ ] (2015) Avengers: Age of Ultron; Ant-Man
[ ] (2016) Captain America: Civil War; Spider-Man: Homecoming
[ ] (2017) Doctor Strange; Black Panther; Thor: Ragnarok
[ ] (2018) Avengers: Infinity War

"I'll be there," Hari promises with a smile. "I've never missed a game once, and I don't plan on starting now."

"We know, mum," Teddy says, exasperated. He just barely manages to refrain from rolling his eyes.

"Teddy's just nervous because we're going to cream Hufflepuff," Scorpius says as he pushes his way into view. "Again." He scratches his head full of thick blond hair and smirks at Hari.

Hari laughs, props the enchanted mirror on the counter as she starts pulling out things from her cupboards to fix herself some breakfast. "Gryffindor could make a comeback, you know," she points out.

Teddy and Scorpius both snort in unison. "Yeah, right," Teddy says disdainfully.

"Gryffindor hasn't had a winning streak since you left, mum," Scorpius says thoughtfully. He smiles slyly. "Thanks for that!"

Hari levels them both with an unimpressed stare. Her lips twitch upwards, and it takes everything in her to keep that disappointed look at on her face. "How have classes been going?" she asks. "Scorpius, do you still need a tutor for Herbology? And Teddy, don't think I've forgotten about that Dreadful you got on your last History exam. It's your OWL year, you know, and those exams aren't exactly a walk in the park."

Teddy scowls. "Professor Smith is incompetent," he says, his cheeks puffing out as he prepares to go on another long rant. "His exams don't even cover the reading material or the lectures! He expects us to remember every single thing he lectures on, but he talks a mile a minute, he won't slow down, and we're not even allowed to use a Quick-Quotes quill! And if you ask questions or interrupt one of his tirades, he takes house points."

Hari frowns. "Scorpius, does he do the same in your class?"

"Yes. That's why I study with the fourth-years," Scorpius admits. He glances at his brother and again at Hari. "I don't think he likes us much, mum."

Teddy rolls his eyes. "Yes, well, he can be salty at mum all he wants, but that's no reason to take it out on us," Teddy says fiercely. "And don't even get me started about the papers!"

At Hari's confused expression, Scorpius elaborates, "Well, you made the Prophet again."

Of course, she thinks sourly.

Ever since her little trip with Tony to Diagon Alley, the Daily Prophet has been running article after article about her new Muggle beau. After having to deal with the press conference with Tony, Hari doesn't really want to go after the Prophet either. Not quite yet, anyway.

But Professor Smith...

"I'll talk with the Headmistress," Hari says. "He shouldn't be treating you any differently just because you're my children."

Teddy sighs agitatedly. "He's not as bad as you said Professor Snape was."

"That doesn't mean him being negatively biased towards you both is acceptable," Hari points out.

She never kept her misadventures at Hogwarts a secret from her children, didn't see the point since they would most likely hear about them like she'd heard about her father's. Her antagonistic relationship with Professor Snape is still talked about. It was one point of contention in her marriage with Draco. Snape was Draco's godfather, and so he had mainly good memories about Snape that he wanted to pass on to their children as a way to honor the man.