Chapter 17: can you please respect my privacy?

Summary:

Tony and Hari team up to deal with a common enemy: the media.

Chapter title:
Rumors - Lindsay Lohan

Notes:

Timeline:
[x] (2012) The Avengers
[x] (2013) Iron Man 3
[x] (2013) We are here
[ ] (2013) Thor: The Dark World
[ ] (2014) Captain America: The Winter Soldier; Guardians of the Galaxy; Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
[ ] (2015) Avengers: Age of Ultron; Ant-Man
[ ] (2016) Captain America: Civil War; Spider-Man: Homecoming
[ ] (2017) Doctor Strange; Black Panther; Thor: Ragnarok
[ ] (2018) Avengers: Infinity War

It's been a week since that conversation and Tony is still salty over it. His mind wanders, thinks about a younger Hari accepting those treats, eating them, being coerced into having sex with this little creep. Would she have woken up in the middle of it all, or would awareness come to her after the act?

He can't stop the anger that churns and stews in his gut. Hunting the little bastard down, although that would probably satisfy his dark need for justice, wouldn't be enough. That douchebag is just a symptom of a larger, overarching problem.

No, he wants to go to Hogwarts and give lectures on the importance of consent. Because that's where the heart of this problem lies. Someone under the influence of these so-called love potions cannot adequately give consent, and so anyone using them should be charged with rape.

Tony sighs, aggravated, drops his tools with a loud clang. The bots stop the game they're playing, turn towards him and make hesitant, concerned beeps.

"I'm sorry, boys," he says softly. "I'm just...upset. It's big boy stuff."

"Sir, I hate to be the bearer of bad news..." JARVIS begins hesitantly.

Fuck, his day really could not get any worse.

"What is it, J?" he asks. He stands up and starts cleaning his mess; it's clear that he's not really going to be getting any work done.

"There's been a recent rise in articles debating the particulars of your relationship with Miss Hari," JARVIS says. There's a faint hint of disgust in his tone, and Tony knows his day really just plummeted.

"Pull them up, J." He crosses his arms, reads the holographic screens with a pinched expression.

Some articles are not so bad, still invasive as they argue a timeline of his and Hari's relationship, some suggesting that they were dating since before he and Pepper broke up. He narrows his eyes at that suggestion. Playboy he might be, but cheater he is not. With an angry swipe of his hand, he tosses those articles onto another screen, taking care to note which publications they came from.

Other articles, if they can even be called that, are downright libelous, and not towards him. By now, everyone knows printing something without actual facts to back it up results in a team with Stark's finest legal team.

No, some of the more awful speculations are about Hari.

The main speculation is that Hari is after him only for his money, the evidence being Evans Company and its financial worth, which is fairly modest considering the Stark fortune. They, of course, won't have much information about Hari and her wealth since the Statute of Secrecy is in place.

It especially doesn't help that the bartender from that night, Dean, went to the tabloids, gave them a special interview on how Hari had been at the bar with someone else before leaving with Tony.

The comments on that article further sour his awful mood.

"I can't believe Stark is with such a trashy woman," one person writes.