Chapter 15: this is brave, this is bruised

Summary:

Tony and Hari start to work out together, and then Halloween rears its ugly head.

Chapter title:
This Is Me - Keala Settle

Notes:

Timeline:
[x] (2012) The Avengers
[x] (2013) Iron Man 3
[x] (2013) We are here
[ ] (2013) Thor: The Dark World
[ ] (2014) Captain America: The Winter Soldier; Guardians of the Galaxy; Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
[ ] (2015) Avengers: Age of Ultron; Ant-Man
[ ] (2016) Captain America: Civil War; Spider-Man: Homecoming
[ ] (2017) Doctor Strange; Black Panther; Thor: Ragnarok
[ ] (2018) Avengers: Infinity War

Tony never really thought he was out of shape. He's always been lean, fit, and when he put on the suit, he became somewhat compact, developing surprisingly hard muscle despite his (slightly) short frame. Sure, he can eat like a pig sometimes, and yeah, he indulges in alcohol more than he should, but that doesn't mean he's out of shape.

Except he is, in a strange way.

He's sweating buckets, muscles quivering with exertion, his face reddened as he pants, sucks in precious oxygen that is suddenly in short supply. The arc reactor no longer takes up room in his chest cavity, reducing his lung capacity, but breathing is such a fucking chore right now. It feels like his lungs still can't fully expand.

Hari looks better than he does. She's sweaty, her long hair tied in a messy bun, strands escaping, her beautiful face one of intense concentration.

"You're a sadist," Tony gasps out. Why did he build a gym? He's going to call demolition experts tomorrow and have them gut the place.

"Are you saying Iron Man can't handle a little cardio?" she asks cheekily, grins at him.

He glares at her. "Cardio?" he demands incredulously. "What we do in the bedroom is cardio. This? This is hell. I think I'd rather be a fat hobbit on a quest to destroy tacky jewelry across Middle Earth with Mordor as my destination; it would be so much easier. That's it; I'm going on a diet. Fuck, I'm too old for this."

"You're only ten years older than me," Hari points out.

Tony collapses weakly on the gym mat. "Tell my story..."

Hari laughs. "You're so overdramatic," she says. "We're not even finished."

"WHAT?!" Tony's not at all ashamed when it comes out at a much higher pitch than any grown man's voice should.

Hari holds up a basket of tennis balls. Her grin looks unholy, gleeful. "We need to work on your reflexes," she says with a grin. "I'm going to throw these balls at you in no particular order, and you are going to dodge them."

...why is he attracted to her? He needs a reminder.

"I think I'd rather watch you squat," he says flirtatiously. "Consider it my dying wish, since you plan on killing me."

She shakes her head. "I'm trying to keep you alive." There's a seriousness in her eyes that belays the light, joking tone she was going for. Before he can ponder it too much, she plasters on a big smile and says, "If you can dodge at least thirty percent of these, I'll make it worth your while." She winks, just in case he doesn't understand what she's implying.

Oh, he understands.

"Sounds Pavlovian," he comments, wiggles his eyebrows. Then he stands up on shaky legs. "Alright, just don't laugh at me when I look stupid."

"It'll be worth it," she assures him. "Anything that gives you a fighting chance isn't stupid."

Hari throws the first tennis ball, and Tony lets out a (manly) squeal as he leaps to the side. It hits him on his shoulder, and he's surprised at how much force was behind that throw. He really shouldn't be so shocked at this point; this woman can bodily pick him up and walk around with him draped over her shoulders like the finest feather boa.