Disguises

- Qibli

I awoke with a startle. My eyes shot open and I say up quickly. It was dark.

Memories flooded into my head.

"Moon!" I whisper-shout.

"Qibli?" I hear a familiar voice whisper from beside me.

I reached out and grabbed Moon quickly.

I pulled her close to me. She was breathing really hard. She folded her arms around me and I ran my hand through her hair to calm her down.

"We're good. Are you injured?" I ask her softly. "No." she whispers.

Just as I said that, I am reminded of the exploding feeling in my back. I take in a sharp breath.

"How's your back?" Moon asks. "Hurts." I say quickly.

"Can you move all your limbs." "Mhm" I mumble as I move my arms and legs.

"Good. You're not paralyzed. That was a hard blow. Thank you, for doing that. I would've died if you hadn't done that." she acknowledges.

"That's what husbands are for right?" I joke then wince at my back.

"Moving hurts alot. But not impossible." I tell her.

I take a look at our surroundings. We are in a big wagon, but it's nearly pitch black inside. I could barely see an outline of sunlight under the entrance door.

I don't see very well at night, and my eyes were still adjusting to the dark.

Moon however, like most Nightwings, has impeccable night vision. I guarantee she could see extremely well right now.

"Guys? Anyone else here?" I ask.

"I'm here. Turtle and Sundew were taken in another wagon." a gruff voice says. I nod at Darkstalker.

The wagon goes over a pot hole, and the whole cart shakes. A small whimper of pain comes from my mouth.

"Darkstalker can you...?" Moon asks. "I already tried, but one of their swords was coated in Wasp's mind control crap. It's messing up the animus spells, I can't do anything right now because it went into my blood stream." he grumbles.

Moon sighs. "Ok, thanks anyways. How can we get out?"

My eyes attempt to scan the perimeter.

"We could pry open the wheel wood." I offer. "Wheel wood?" they ask simultaneously.

"It's a term used in the lower class of Sandwing. Basically I weaker type of wood, often used in the areas to support the wheels on wagons, because they are strong when together, but they have spots. If you hit them inbetween the parts where they are fused together they crack under pressure. We could escale through there, or use the wood to attack our captors." I explain.

I could feel their eyes on me. "Wow, Moon you are right. He isn't stupid." Darkstalker says.

"Ok, one ouch. Two, I know what wood is. Since when does that make you smart? Three, thanks I guess." I snap at him.

"Ok, Qibli can you tell me where to hit it? I don't think you're strong enough to do it right now." Moon says.

"I can't see the wood patterns to tell you." I say. "Picture doing it from previous experiences. I will worl from there." she says.

I go over a memory from when I watched Cobra break into a bank wagon using this trick. I focus on Cobra's finger tracing through the cracks of the wood and eventually pressing in a certain spot. The wood bends in ever so slightly. She smashes her fist against it and it breaks open easily.