Chapter 2: Headquarters

Vivian

The warm air inside the corporate building hit me like serendipity, contrasting the freezing cold air from outside. By the time I arrived at Kaden's company headquarters, it started raining cats and dogs outside. I was glad I got here in time so that only my hair got a little wet.

I ran a hand through my hair to shake out the water droplets and prevent them from ruining my loose curles that I did this morning. The running made my skirt ride low and I quickly reached down to raise the waistband up to its original spot.

There was only so much I could fix until I had to take back the papers that I previously tucked between my thighs. I brought no bag due to my hurry, so I had nowhere else to put my belongings.

Now that I finally finished fixing my appearance to not look like a tramp, I had time to properly take in my surroundings. High ceilings, big clean windows and white marble floors closed into a very impressive interior. By my estimation, this building must have at least twenty floors. Escalators and spacious elevators lead up to the upper floors which weren't really closed off from my sight because of the glass railings.

Card readers kept me from intruding any further until I found the entryway for 'guests and services'. By services I assumed it refers to pizza deliveries or whatever rich people ate.

I stepped through without having to swipe any key card. I walked to the elevators but was promptly stopped in my tracks by a female voice calling out to me.

"Excuse me, where do you think you're going?"

My head turned to the side and my eyes zeroed on a petite woman sitting behind a beige marbel counter surrounded by high tech computers. She pushed her glasses up sternly and looked at me like I was some stray dog.

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear out of habit. "Oh, of course. Sorry." I laughed awkwardly. "I want to see K— Mr. Vlastov?" I said it more like a question than a statement.

She looked at me funny. As if I had just sprouted wings. Her judgemental look soon turned into one of disbelief and skepticism.

Great. She thinks I'm crazy.

She cleared her throat and my eyes slipped down to her nametag. "You need an appointment to see Mr. Vlastov." Her mouth curled into a subtle mocking smile and it made me thank my asian parents and their way of teaching manners that helped me stay put.

"Okay...Then I'm making one right now."

She narrowed her eyes at me and pushed her glasses up in frustration. "Listen." She leaned forward. "I don't care if he slept with you and never contacted you again. But it doesn't justify barging in here and demand his presence. He's a busy man, you know."

My blood boiled and my mouth hung open in shock. Who does this woman think she is?

Never in a million years would I willingly hook up with Kaden fucking Vlastov. I would rather die. Move to Antarctica. Become a penguin and jump into the ice cold water.

Point is — I would never become one of his mistresses. After all, I had some self-respect left.

Before I could say anything else, she spoke up again. "I have to ask you to leave or I'll call security."

I felt my eye unwillingly twitch. I walked towards the receptionist's counter and smiled at her fakely. "Elizabeth. Do you mind me calling you Elizabeth?"

I rested my arms on the counter to lean closer. "I have no interest in getting in his pants, nor have I ever. But you sure sound like you do." I tipped my head to the side in an equally mocking manner.