Chapter 6: Interrupted

Vivian

I gripped the keycard that Kaden gave me tightly. Gave me. I scoffed. Rather shoved into my possession after he left me hot and bothered feigning for myself. Seriously, what was up with him?

Usually, he's all unwavering coordination and control but he seemed to let some of his precious control slip when he cornered me against the door. Then again, he could've just been playing me. Kaden was good at manipulating. Otherwise he wouldn't be a successful businessman.

I completely discarded my usual path through the entrance. Instead, I went to the far right of the entrance hall and passed the security by swiping Kaden's keycard. While other guests were being searched for harmful weapons by the security, I was able to walk straight ahead.

Elizabeth stared at me from the front desk. Her mouth hung wide open in shock and the phone pressed to her ear as she froze in place comically. Her eyes threatened to pop out of their sockets. If she widened them any further, they might actually fall out.

I mustered my most casual smile at her and swiftly passed her, even though I was definitely exploding with pride inside. She treated me like a filthy whore when I first came here and continued even after I tried to stay polite. That's why I didn't need to make an effort to be kind to her anymore. I tried before. It didn't work.

There was a secluded elevator opposite to the rest and I was clueless about where to swipe the card at first. Then I realized that all I had to do was hold the QR code against the sensor. High tech. I quirked an impressed eyebrow.

Even more stares were thrown my way while I exited the elevator on the floor of Kaden's office. And I had to admit that I was almost delusional enough to feel like someone special.

Which I wasn't.

I was merely his best friend's sister. If I were any other woman, he wouldn't even give me the time of the day. Or spare me a single glance. Although I didn't like to admit it, I did somewhat grow up with him because he was always around.

I remember the first time he brought a girl to one of his hangouts with Justin. She was tall, skinny, blonde and so not me. Back then, I didn't feel any specific way about their relationship because guys like Kaden weren't my type.

They still aren't.

Back in highschool, I had this stupid crush on the school council president, Mike Prescott. My friends used to tease me about my crush on him all the time. They used to call Mike the goody two shoes because he was a model students as well as popular amongst girls. He never acted on it, though because all he ever did was study.

I liked guys like him. They were kind, reliable and not Kaden.

After a while, I kind of lost interest in Mike because my puppy love phase faded away. He became insufferable to the students, constantly imposed punishments on everyone who dared to go against the school policy. He showed no mercy, forced detention upon you even when your school uniform was crumbled just the tiniest bit.

I grimaced at the thought. Freak.

Later I realized that I didn't lose interest because he was starting to be mean. But because I got bored. I liked to follow the rules myself because I hated being told off, but Mike tried so hard to uphold his perfect reputation. I secretly craved someone careless.

I opened the door to Kaden's office. His head raised to look at me, tearing his attention away from the numerous documents on his table. The slight frown on his face dimmed down.

"Dimples," he breathed out.

I was still not used to Kaden having a nickname specifically for me. Because, duh, he's Kaden Vlastov. The untouchable man amongst the high society. I rolled my eyes at the name.