Chapter Seven

She was shitting me, I knew she was.
Allison Nicole Everly was way too God damn good for her good to ever be related to a killer. Let alone the daughter of one. So yes, she was most certainly shitting me.
I even told her aloud that she was shitting me.
"Would I lie to you?" She asked me. "After all, I'm one of the few people that you actually revealed your middle name to."
"Don't remind me." I said. "Your name is so beautiful and mine is just like, "Mom, why did you do this to your child?""
My middle name was Alexander. Gordon Alexander Fitzgerald. Something about it seemed...off, I guess. I mean, it's hard enough coming up for a middle name for my name in the first place. No wonder Mom had opted for a family name.
"What family?" The nagging voice in my head asked me. "Your dad's dead, your grandparents died in a car accident when you were four, and your Aunt Jess was a fucking slut. She died of some STD that she got from some random ass dude that she fucked after a one-night stand, something that wasn't uncommon to hear about. You're the only other Firzgerald left. And Mom's not going to have anymore children so you better not fuck up your life and have a kid or two to keep the line going. Your parents don't have any siblings do you have barely any cousins. Don't mess this up."
"You're taking out loud again." Allie told me.
Fuck. Whenever I get racing thoughts running through my head, they usually end up slipping out. I was usually alone in my room so no one would really say anything and when it happened in front of Mom, she would simply say, "You really are your father's child. You two are so alike that it's a wonder that you aren't the same person."
"Whatever." I said. "I don't even care at this point. Let's get back to what we were talking about before my mind decided to nag me about being the only other Fitzgerald left."
"Right." She said. She didn't want to talk about it, I know she didn't. But I was going to get her to tell me that this was some joke and that she really wasn't related to a killer. "How did you find out about this?"
"What? No! You aren't supposed to be asking her stuff like that." I made sure that I wasn't talking out loud again. It took a lot of self control, but the voice stayed in my mind. "You're supposed to be telling her that she's bullshitting!"
"It's a really complicated story." She said. "Albeit, a bit long."
"We got time." I said, wrapping an arm around her. "We're locked in a pizzeria. Plus, we're in a safe room so no boogeymen can get us."
"I don't think that boogeymen is the right term." She said.
"That's because it isn't." I said. "Now, tell me the story."
She sighed and looked me deep in the eyes.
"I was listening to AC/DC one day," I smiled upon hearing of her great music taste. That was only part of what came with her. Nothing sexual or anything about that, I'm still a virgin, thank you. "and I randomly found this box under my bed. Now, this thing was ancient. It was falling apart. But I opened it and found some adoption papers and I was like, "What the hell is this? Why is this even under my bed in the first place?" And I read through it and saw that they were my adoption papers. Now, my first reaction was, "If you aren't going to tell me that I'm adopted, then why did you leave my fucking adoption papers under my bed?" And my next reaction was, "Holy shit. I'm adopted. My whole life has been a lie." Then I realized that it wasn't really true because I assumed that I was taken out of custody for good reason. Upon further research, I learned that I was given my mother's last name at birth and that her name was Moni and my father's name was Vincent. And that's basically what happened."
"Wow." I said. "Anything else I should know?"
"Well, I guess that you should know that I like long walks on beaches and that I'm a hopeless romantic." She said.
"Tell me something I don't know." I said, inching my face closer to hers. I wanted her to take the hint that I was craving a kiss. "You're lucky that you found a hopeless romantic like me."
I had even gone romantic with our first date. I had bought her chocolates and roses with ribbons on them, symbolizing romance. I had just gotten my license so I was dying to take her out for a ride. We ended up going to a drive-in movie theater, where we watched "Dirty Dancing" and had my first kiss under the moonlight.
"Yeah." She said, smiling. "You're lucky that I kissed someone before so I knew what to do. You were clueless."
"Stop it." I said. "And I'm still wondering why you would name your kid Baby."
"You're still wondering a lot of things."
She said. "Just last week you were wondering what your parents were like when they were in high school."
"I like to be curious." I said.
"No kidding." She said. She then crashed her lips onto mine and I kissed her back. We stopped upon hearing pounding on the door.
"Let's pretend like we're not here." I said, wrapping my arms protectively around her.
"I don't think that that's going to work." She whispered. I could barely hear her over the pounding.
"Well, whoever's out there gotta give up at some point." I said. "Just give it time."