Chapter Eight

"Gordon, they've been pounding for ten minutes." Allie said as I stood up because my legs were beginning to fall asleep. "I don't think that they're giving up."
"Well, what the hell do you want me to do?" I asked. "I don't have a weapon and you're out of your fucking mind if you think that I'm going to fight with my bare hands."
Suddenly, one of the suits started to twitch.
"What the fuck?" I asked. "Why's it doing that?"
"It does that every now and again." Allie said, standing up. "There's really nothing you have to worry about."
"What if there's a person in there?" I asked.
"You're out of your mind if you think that there's a person in there." Allie said. "The spring locks would kill them almost instantly."
I had almost forgotten about the pounding.
"Oh yeah. I forgot." I said, digging through my pockets. "I have this."
"Have what?"
"My pocket knife."
"Why do you have a pocket knife?"
"In case I ever need to use it."
I switched open the blade and went over to the door. I put my hand on the knob and slowly opened the door. Raising the knife, I looked outside and saw that no one was there.
"One of the animatronics was messing with us." I said, closing the door and closing the pocket knife and putting it back in my pocket.
"That can't be possible." Allie said. "They don't know about the safe rooms."
"Well, do you think that some ghosts was pounding on the door?" I asked.
"Well, kids did die here..."
"Allie, there's no such thing as ghosts."
"That's what the one guy in the movie says before a door slams shut or something."
"Well, no doors are going to be slamming shut because that door over there is already closed."
"Something else is going to happen then."
"You're out of your mind woman." I said, walking over to her. "Ghosts aren't real."
I gasped as I felt something touch me.
"Not funny Allie." I said. "Don't touch me and scare me like that."
"I didn't touch you." She said.
"Yeah you did." I said. "I just felt you touch me."
"Gordon, I swear that I didn't touch you." She said. "I wouldn't mess with you like that in a situation like that."
Then, I felt it again. This time, it was on my shoulder.
"See?" She said. "I'm not touching you."
"It's probably just the breeze." I said.
"What breeze?" She asked. "There ain't no damn breeze in here."
Just then, the door slowly creaked open. Allie screamed and threw herself on top of me. I reached into my pocket and grabbed the knife once more. Shaking, I switched it open and held it up.
"Come and get us!" I called' my voice shaking. "I'm not afraid to fight you off!"
Then, it closed again.
"That was the ghost leaving." She said.
"For fuck's sake Allie!" I said, throwing my knife across the room in frustration. "There's no fucking ghost here!"
"That's what you think." She said. "I can see them. They're children and they're looking right at you."
I got up and sighed as I went to pick up my knife.
"Now you're really bullshitting me." I said. "Excuse me while I go call the mental asylum to let them know that my girlfriend had gone completely out of her fucking mind."
"Why can't you just believe me?" She asked. "You always trust me. What's different now? You believed my adoption story."
"Are you saying that you weren't really adopted?" I asked.
"No." She said. "I really was adopted. But I need you to trust me. The children need help. They aren't at rest."
"What do you want me to do about it?" I asked. "How the hell do you put a ghost to rest?"
"You make them happy again." She said. "The only reason that ghosts are on earth is because they aren't at peace. Something's bothering them and they won't move on until it's no longer bothering them anymore."
"I need a nap." I said. I looked down at my watch and saw that it was six AM. "You can talk to them. I'll be taking a nap on one of the tables of you need me."
"I'll be here." Allie said as I left.

"Ghosts." I muttered as I walked into the main room. "There's no such thing as ghosts. Allie thinks she can see ghosts. Someone better find us soon. This place is already getting to her."
I found a table and got on it. I took my glasses off and set them beside me and closed my eyes.

I was awoken by my table being flipped over.
"Allie, you know that you could have just shaken me."' I said as I felt around for my glasses. Once I found them, I put them on and blinked. "You didn't have to go all apeshit on me and flip the table."
No response.
"You don't have to give me the silent treatment." I said. I stood up and adjusted my glasses.
Still no response.
"Listen, I'm sorry for not believing you." I said. "But I haven't had a first-hand experience with ghosts and you know that I don't believe something unless I see it so until I actually see a..."
I cut myself off when I saw that Allie wasn't standing there. It was the bunny suit that had twitched earlier.
I screamed and ran towards the safe room. Once I was inside, I slammed the door and sat down in front of it.
"Gordon?" Allie asked, looking at me. "What's wrong?"
"The bunny thing got up and walked out of the room!" I said. "It flipped over the table that I was sleeping on. I thought that it was you at first but when I saw that it was him, I.."
"First of all," she said. "I wouldn't flip the table. I would do something much worse."
"You didn't notice that it moved?" I asked. "It's loud as shit."
"Well, how come you didn't hear it coming then?" She asked, crossing her arms.
"You know I'm a heavy sleeper." I said.
"True." She said. "But the reason why I didn't hear it is because I was talking to the ghosts."
"I have the mental asylum on speed dial." I said. "I'm seriously about to call them."
"Why did I even tell you?" She asked. "I knew you would bitch at me."
"Do you expect to not bitch at you?" I asked. "Allie, you're talking to dead people!"
"Now you believe that I'm talking to ghosts." She said. "Which is it? Do you believe me or not?"
"I really don't even know anymore." I said. "The only thing I know is that I want to get out of here."
"Me too." She said. "But not before I help set these spirits free."
I groaned. This was going to be a long and painful time, I already knew that for a fact.