Chapter 1 - Winter

A/N: Sasuke always speaks in his main language, Japanese, so when he speaks English it will be in Italics to show you he is speaking in a different and foreign language to him.

Sasuke's P.O.V

"Hold up," Orochimaru spoke from behind me, his voice amused. "It seems we have come across a young girl..."

We were standing in a deep, green forest so thick you couldn't see the sky. It was getting close to night so we all had our torches lighting our path, we were about to set up camp for the day. Orochimaru points his finger at a clearing in the forest where a group of Ninjas has made a semicircle. Craning my head I see that lying in the middle of the Ninjas is a girl, of about the same age as me.

Her dark blonde hair tumbled down the side of her head into messy waves and her face held a fierce expression, she was almost like a cat that was ready to pounce at any moment. She was wearing three-quartered leather pants with a belt that held a knife, one of two. In her right hand, she was holding the other knife, her fingers clenched tightly around the handle in what could be interpreted as nervous, or eager. Her top was made of the same material as her pants, revealing her midriff. She looked like she had been rolling in mud as everywhere you could see her skin she was covered in dirt reminding me of an amazonian warrior.

"Do you want me to see if she is any trouble?" I say in monotone. I absolutely hate running stupid errands like this, but I have to please Orochimaru. Secretly I hope that this girl gives me something of a challenge, I haven't had a real challenge in ages... since I fought Naruto Uzumaki.

"Mmm," he hums behind me. "I don't think so, my Ninjas can take care of it."

Greatly doubtful, I turn my head back around to the Ninjas who are in a semicircle around the girl. "Hey! She is of no use to us, kill her and make it quick, we need to set up camp for the night."

I turn to meet Orochimaru's nod of approval, "Sasuke, check our provisions and make sure our prisoners aren't getting bored."

With a sadistic smile, I turn to head towards the back of the very large Ninja group we are traveling with. We're moving to a new hideout, to keep our location under the radar.

"Hey! Leave me alone or I'll kill all of you stupid people!"

Usually, I wouldn't have stopped, but I hadn't heard that language in a long time. My mother taught this language to me, English. The girl lying in the semicircle was yelling in English. I figured with a sigh, looking around the group, that I was the only one here who could speak and understand English.

I turned around casually and looked at the girl who was now holding both of her knives about the size of her elbow to her to the top of her palm in each hand. "And how do you think you could kill all of us?" I yelled back at her in my almost-perfect English. I could see the bottom of her ribs poking out under her skin where her midriff was showing, she hasn't eaten in days from what I could determine. Someone as weak looking as her couldn't fight off an angry fly.

The girl turned towards me and gave me an icy glare, her eyes were a startling greeny-blue with a yellow ring around her pupils. I've never seen any eyes like that before. "Come any closer and you will find out!" She yelled back, her voice cracking as she saw the Ninja closing in on her.

Everyone was staring at us now, not understanding a word we were saying. Orochimaru gave me an inquisitive look and I yelled to the girl again, "I suppose we will," Rolling my eyes, I hope she's said her prayers.

Taking up a fighting stance, determination growing on her face, I see her eyes focus on the closest Ninja to her. The closest Ninja, a man, ran at her and did a fire style Jutsu. As the flames ignited they surrounded her almost immediately. The smoke rose into the sky and we all waited in silence. Was she dead that easy? I snorted and turned back to Orochimaru.