Chapter 14 - Captivity

Winter's P.O.V

It had been three days. Three entire days without food.

I had water, of course, Sasuke only visited once a day so I could drink from his tap in the kitchen - though it sickened me at the thought of how much blood he had washed down there. All the people he had killed with his own hands. His hands stained red until he washed the blood down the sink...

 He was usually gone all day and he returned late at night for dinner. The smell of his glorious food would keep me up but I would pretend to be gone, pretend that I didn't exist just like he asked. He hadn't spoken a word to me since the first day he put me here and now I was beginning to crack. 

Back in my hometown, we did the 40-hour famine where you don't eat for 40 hours and you raise money. One year I didn't speak or eat for 40 hours and I felt the cracks. in fact, I didn't last the entire 40 hours. My parents had to force me to give up as I was going to faint and so they bought me food and I ate it immediately.

This was much, much worse. It had been 72 hours. In fact, sometimes because I was so bored I would stare at his fireplace counting the seconds, the minutes and the hours. In my head of course, because I still couldn't speak. I had resolved to the fact that I may never speak again. But it didn't matter if I had my voice or not since the only person who knew I was still alive didn't want to speak to me. 

My stomach rumbled at least three times a minute and I was about to throw myself into the fire. Sasuke was going to be home now and I feared for my life. He had been trying to forget I was even here, hence the fact that he hadn't fed me, and hearing my stomach grumbling was a big giveaway. My stomach was practically yelling at the top of its lungs, "Feed me!"

My heart leaped, not in a good way when I heard Sasuke coming through the front door. A chilled wind swept through and goosebumps prickled my skin. I silently begged my stomach not to say a word as he wiped his feet on the doormat and shut the front door. 

Just like the past few days, I knew that without a glance in my direction he would trudge through to the kitchen to wash whatever blood was on his hands and then make dinner for himself. However, this time was different. He was walking past the back of the couch I was lying on and my traitorous stomach called out loudly, "Gurgler!" 

Sasuke froze and his eyes snapped in my direction like he was spreading ice around him, my entire body froze as did my heartbeat. I was afraid that if my heart beat he would surely be able to hear it. His breathing came out ragged like he was trying to calm his anger. "What was that." He growled. His eyes drifted to my stomach as it let out yet another loud complaint. "You haven't eaten." It wasn't a question. Sasuke walked to the kitchen. Just like that. Is this how I'm going to die? Death by hunger?

My silent rant was hushed as I smelt food. It drifted towards me like heaven on a plate and then landed on my lap. A warm loaf of bread slathered in butter. I looked up to my captor and silently questioned him. 'Is it poisoned?' He rolled his eyes and went back to the kitchen as I tore a large piece of the heavenly food into my mouth. I reminded myself that this would probably be the only food I was getting for a while so I took smaller bites and held it in my mouth, savoring it.

They say good things come in small packages. Like a diamond ring, or in this case, a loaf of bread.

******

Two weeks of captivity and I don't know what to do with myself. Sasuke gives me bread and butter every night when he comes home and every morning before he leaves. I guess it's better than going without food for three days at a time but it would be nice to have something other than bread and butter.