Chapter 18 - Life For A Life

Winter's P.O.V

Trying not to think too much about what I'm actually doing, I brush my dirty blonde hair out of my eyes and pull on Sasuke's cloak. We both managed to walk back, his arm over my shoulders, and he passed out from pain on the dining room table when I was treating his wounds.

Warmth seeps into my skin from Sasuke's black cloak and comforts me, I have to do this, for Sasuke and for everyone else Orochimaru has tormented.

I walk into the dining room and look at Sasuke. He lies so still, so peacefully that I don't want to touch him. His onyx hair is brushed back from his face to reveal a damp, green cloth. His eyes slightly twitch underneath his eyelids and his mouth is slightly parted as he inhales and exhales.

Forming a plan in my head I decide to write Sasuke a letter for when he wakes up, I don't want to leave him and not give him something to remember me by. Pressing the pen to the paper, I begin to write:

Dear Sasuke,

Thank you so much for everything. I can't begin to explain how much you mean to me, you gave me my life back. I hope in some little way I have impacted your life like you have impacted mine.

I'm going to miss you,

Winter xx

Willing myself not to cry I take a deep breath and place my note into his left hand, squeezing it, asking him for his strength in what I'm about to do.

I walk into his bedroom and dig into his closet where he keeps all his weapons. Catching a glint of steel I bring out his long katana, newly sharpened. The blade is ice cold in my hands as I lift it up, feeling the balance.

I see a golden chain hanging in the back of his closet and I pull it out, securing it around my waist.

The plan I had formed was circling around in my head, I could only hope that it would work. Looking back at Sasuke before I walk out the door, his blade in my hand, words catch in my throat. There's so much I want to say to him but will never be able to.

I settle with not saying anything at all, instead, I blow a kiss and glide out the door, melting like a shadow in the night. 

******

Comforting myself with memories I let them flash through my head, the time when he slapped me in the face after I insulted him, all our fights, verbal and physical, and some of the more pleasant memories, like the time when I patched him up after Orochimaru hit him or when he read to me, allowing me to lean against him.

I thought Sasuke meant nothing to me but deep down, he means everything. If things were different, I would be back home caring for him, being there for when he wakes up, but that's not the case.

Orochimaru has tormented people for years, taking away people's loved ones and it's time his reign was brought to an end. For Sasuke and for everyone who loves him, Sakura, Naruto and all the rest of his friends, I am going to do it, I'm going to kill Orochimaru. 

"So there is a way to kill Orochimaru?"

"It is difficult. A life for a life. If you want to kill Orochimaru, you have to die with him."

A life for a life, for him I'll do it.

I glared at Itachi, "I am not stupid, I know that if I kill Orochimaru, I will have to die as well.

He nodded. "That is true, you have to kill yourself at the same moment you kill him. We have planned for you to stab a long blade through your heart and his heart at the same time." Itachi motioned with his long blade and Deidara muttered,