Chapter 9 - Lying to an Uchiha

Winter's P.O.V

I waited until all the Akatsuki were asleep and then I thumped my back against the wall. I was dressed in some nice clean clothes supplied by Pein's friend who turned out to be a girl. She had shoulder length purple hair and a sweet paper flower in it.

When the series of clicking sounds stopped, I gathered the food I had snuck from the table under Hidan's gaze. Creeping along the corridor I saw Haku's room and I quietly pushed open the door. Sure enough, there was Haku sitting chained in the corner, curious eyes staring unblinkingly at me.

"You came?" Haku's voice reached me.

I smiled and placed the food at his feet and undid his chains. "I said I would, didn't I?"

Haku wrapped his arms around me and sat in my lap as we ate in silence. With the silence, I was able to think about the Akatsuki's plans for me. They wanted me to fight Orochimaru and stab a long blade through my chest and his chest at the same time because the only way to kill Orochimaru was through somebody dying with him at the same time. Many had tried to kill him before but no one could get close to Orochimaru, but I could because I am immune to Ninjutsu and Genjutsu making me Orochimaru's prized possession.

"Like a kebab stick," Deidara's voice echoed in my mind. My stomach lurched and I put my food down. I no longer had an appetite.

"What's the wrong Winter?" Haku asked peering over his food.

I sighed, "It's nothing you should worry about." I couldn't put the burden of what the Akatsuki wanted me to do on this child's shoulders.

I looked at Haku a bit closer and saw that he had shoulder length, straight blonde hair, and a cute round face. His eyes were a truly magnificent gold and I wanted to stare at them all night. Something about him seemed... off. He seemed intelligent in a way I couldn't describe like he knew things normal people didn't.

In the darkness of the room, I decided that I should try and confirm my suspicions.

"I am going to go out on a limb here... something tells me you know what's bothering me." I waited for Haku's response, part of me was wishing he would get a confused look in his eyes and laugh like any normal child would do, but instead, his head nodded slightly and the way he looked at me sent shivers up my spine.

"You are very smart Winter." Haku sighed discontentedly. I guess he didn't want me to figure out that he was different.

The silence that fell between us was incomplete, just like when Sasuke would stare at me waiting for my come back, Haku was waiting for my response.

I looked around the room and took in my surroundings, the room they kept Haku in was small, it had no bed but it had a shelf full of books. I reached out and grabbed a hold of a book and flipped through it only to see countless, white pages. The books were all completely blank.

I knew what I wanted to ask Haku and so I took a deep breath. "If I tell you what's bothering me, will you tell me why the Akatsuki want you?"

Haku put down his food and looked away from me. It was then that I found out why he seemed so intelligent. He may look like a four-year-old but his soul was old. He was wise beyond his years.

Haku nodded and turned to me. "Deal."

I wasn't nervous to tell this boy anymore, something inside of me was telling me that he could handle it. I tried to figure out how to tell him in simple words because my Japanese wasn't perfect. "The Akatsuki want me to kill a man named Orochimaru. Orochimaru is... very strong, and he can only die when someone dies with him. So they want me to kill Orochimaru by dying with him."