Chapter 12: Who could that be?

*** Disclaimer: I'm so sorry in advance for grammatical errors you might encounter, English is not my first language, please bare with me. Thank you :)

◦•●◉✿✿◉●•◦

Becky's footsteps gnawed under the concrete pathway as she made her way up the familiar path to her father's house--- the Armstrong villa.

It had been a few weeks since her last visit, life's hectic pace often pulling her in different directions. She became busy looking for a job that she hadn't have time to visit as soon as she learned about the payment of her mother's medical bills.

Another reason is that after their last encounter, which did not go well, she is still debating whether to go thank him in person or just send him a text. However, she had put aside their disagreement after giving it some thought and choosing, out of respect, to express her gratitude in person.

A knock on the door echoed through the quiet neighborhood, followed by the sound of footsteps approaching. The door swung open, and there stood her step-mother Lauren.

"What the hell are you doing here again?" she exclaimed, "If you've come here to beg us for money, we don't have it."

"Money? I'm here to thank my dad for paying the bills."

"What?" Lauren said through her gritted teeth.

How could her husband gave away their money without her knowledge? She's now fuming in anger. She realized the magnitude of what had transpired. She's sure that the money Richard had gave to pay off his ex-wife's medical bills was a significant portion of their savings, funds they had diligently saved for Nita's study that she'd mentioned before.

Lauren's frustration simmered beneath the surface, "That bastard. Richard!! Richard!!" she shouted, then started walking towards the living room where Richard Armstrong was sitting.

Becky could do nothing but follow her.

"How dare you go behind my back and pay your ex-wife's medical bills?!" Lauren's frustration spilled out in a torrent of emotions.

Startled, Richard coughed out the coffee he was sipping. Afterwards he wiped his mouth and hastily set down his cup.

"What? I..I--"

"We're having so much financial trouble right now and.....and you're still thinking about her?!!" Lauren's voice trembled with a mix of shock and anger. She felt a surge of betrayal, "Do you want a divorce? Is that what this is about?" She said, accusing her husband.

Richard looking at her, shocked and a sense of fear can be seen on his face, "What? No, No, of course not! Honey---"

"Financial trouble?" Becky can't help but to break into their conversation. She turned her gaze to her father.

Richard looked down and sighed, "Look, sweetheart, Becky.." he said then look at her daughter, "Things have been rough, all right? My contracts have been getting canceled left and right with no reason."

"You hear that? So if you're still here to beg us for money, get the hell out!!" Lauren words was dismissive, her voice dripping with hatered, "If you have any decency, you'd ask your wife to help us! I mean, I know she's just a bastard, but she's still a member of the Chankimha family, isn't she?"

Becky looked at her as if she were crazy, "What?" she asked, her jaw tightened, but she maintained her composure.

"The least she could do would be a little bit of useful to us--"

"Don't talk to my wife like that!" Becky's voice cut through Lauren's, her words firm but measured, "And no, I'm not here to ask for money. The bills have been fully paid."