Chapter 1

It was the end of a very long and strange day as Seyfi Cicek ushered Aydan Bolat out of the attorney's office. When Aydan had been summoned for the reading of her ex-husband's will both of them thought that it was odd, very odd. They had been divorced for almost ten years and she had never kept up with him. Aptekin Bolat chose to move to another country rather than stay in her vicinity, or so she thought.

Exiting the building Aydan leaned over to Seyfi, whispering so that they weren't overheard, "Did you get in touch with Serkan? Wasn't he supposed to be here?"

Rolling his eyes Seyfi responded, "I called him to let him know that Aptekin had died and that he was wanted at the reading of his will. All he said was 'No' before hanging up on me, It was rather loud in the background when I called, probably another party."

"What will become of him? He is so reckless with his lifestyle," she shook her head. When had her sweet boy turned into a hard-partying playboy? What had happened to him? Aydan knew that these were rhetorical questions since Serkan would barely talk to her these days, he wanted no lectures from her. She also knew exactly what happened to him. As much as her son thought he was alone in his troubles, he was not.

"Do we even know why the lawyer wanted him there?"

Seyfi patted his breast pocket, "I was given documents to deliver to him. I guess that I'll be heading to Izmir tomorrow."

Serkan Bolat downed the remaining bourbon in his glass and turned up the music. He surveyed all the people in his house, there for the free food, alcohol and fun, not for him. He spied a blonde in the corner, she had been eyeing him all night, she would do he supposed. He looked at his watch, it was after midnight already, Serkan gave her a nod and she headed his way. Shepherding her towards the stairs to his bedroom he turned to the partygoers and shouted, "Last call, everyone out in thirty."

He didn't stay to make sure that they would leave. He knew that they would, if the parasites wanted to come back then they needed to obey his orders. Serkan turned back to the blonde, not bothering to get her name, she wasn't permanent, this was just sex. He sent her home in a car shortly after four, preferring to sleep alone. When a woman stayed overnight she tended to get ideas and he didn't want anyone clinging to him. Serkan rolled over, not satisfied and empty, the hollow gutted feeling still haunted him, he ignored it and drifted off to sleep.

Seyfi arrived in Izmir just after nine and headed for Serkan's house on the coast. Every time he came here he was struck by the beauty of the location and the house that Serkan had built as his escape. Seyfi knew that Serkan was struggling but he was going down a bad path. Ever since his brother was killed in the freak accident on the jobsite two years ago, Serkan had spiraled. He was one of the most gifted architects of his generation and now he was wasting that talent along with his life.

He let himself into the house to see the remnants of another party, Seyfi could only hope that he would find Serkan in bed alone this time. He had no desire to walk in on him and his bedmate again. Seyfi never referred to them as girlfriends, they weren't, they were just a warm body. Making his way to the bedroom and listened for any sound that would indicate he needed to turn around and wait downstairs. With no noises making their way to him Seyfi proceeded silently down the hall, the bedroom door was wide open and he could see only one body in the bed. His lucky day he thought sarcastically. Seyfi walked into the room to find a sheet clad Serkan sprawled on the bed. The man might look like he was deeply asleep but Seyfi knew better, the sheet might be torn up from an encounter with a woman but the clenched fingers on the pillow were anything but calm.

He cleared his throat, "How long do you plan on lazing about?"

The voice penetrated the slight alcohol fog still clouding his brain, "Go to hell Seyfi."