Chapter 8

Eda was headed into court when her phone buzzed with a text, she knew without looking who it would be and caught herself smiling. She couldn't text back because of court but then she had promised herself that she wouldn't text back anyway. When the opposing couples settled amicably after weeks of fighting Eda was shocked. What she anticipated to be a three hour session was done in thirty minutes.

Back in her office Eda picked up her phone and before her brain registered what she was doing she sent back, 'Hello, was in court, just getting this now,' she set her phone down before she could do anything else stupid and got back to the case for the afternoon session. Eda called Ayfer before she got too busy so that she could talk to Kiraz. Eda wanted her to know that she could call her tonight if she got scared. This would be her first sleepover and Eda was nervous for her daughter. Eda smiled through the call.

When Kiraz handed the phone back to Ayfer, Eda asked her, "When did she get so grown up?"

Ayfer chuckled, she was helping the children make manti for dinner, "I'm not sure but I think her helping out with Ebru has made a difference. I'll be home before dinner tonight, Defne wants to try to put everything together and she promised that she'll clean up the kitchen with Emir. Maybe you and I can go grab a bite to eat?"

"That would be nice, we haven't done that in forever. I'll see you at home."

Serkan was trying not to be obsessive about checking his phone to see if Eda received his text or not but he was failing at it. When she sent her brief text back that she was in court his heartbeat picked up its pace. Serkan knew he had to be careful with Eda because she wasn't his biggest fan, he could tell that, but he wanted her to be. He waited until after lunch to text her back, 'Can you stay for dinner again tonight?' and waited.

Eda walked out of court, angry and elated at the same time. Her client had gotten the victory from the judge but the amount of time and money that was wasted made her so mad. Those were funds that the family needed to live on. She had left her phone in her office to avoid distractions and was glad she did because Serkan had texted her again. 'I have other plans for dinner tonight.' Eda left the message simple. There was no need to tell him that she and Ayfer were getting dinner together.

He read her message, Eda had other plans. Why wouldn't she have other plans? The woman was smart, kind and so damned beautiful. He wanted to ask her to break them but he had no right. Serkan thought that Eda would be worth waiting for. He would have his hands full tonight anyway with Kiraz added to the mix. He put his phone down so that he wouldn't do anything stupid like beg her to change her plans.

If Eda was disappointed that Serkan didn't text her back, she tried not to show it. She and Ayfer enjoyed their adult dinner and headed home where Eda decided to take a break from work for the evening. She was hoping that Kiraz was doing well. It was after nine and her daughter should have been in bed long before now. Eda reached for her phone, 'How is Kiraz doing? Did you get them both off to bed without problems?'

Serkan was in his office, Defne and Emir were watching a movie and Ebru and Kiraz had finally stopped playing in her bedroom twenty minutes ago and fallen asleep. He looked over at his phone to see Eda's text. He was feeling a little irritated with her and he knew that he had no reason to be. Just because she went out to dinner with someone that wasn't him didn't mean that he should be a jerk but he couldn't help it, he ignored her text.

When Eda hadn't received a response by ten she assumed that everything was fine. She was hoping that Serkan would have texted back but it was possible that he wasn't near his phone. She had washed off her make up and put on her pajamas to relax with a book still wondering why he hadn't texted back and praying that Kiraz was okay.