Chapter 15

At dinner Serkan made an announcement, "We would like to discuss something as a family, Ayfer this will affect you so you will definitely need a say."

Serkan and Eda looked at Ebru encouragingly.

She said softly, "Daddy Serkan said we could talk about getting a puppy or a kitten."

Emir and Defne sat and stared at their sister, both blinking at her for a few moments before Emir grinned and Defne burst into tears, but both rushed over to her chair to hug her. Kiraz looked confused, "Don't they want a puppy or a kitten?"

Eda smoothed her hair back and kissed her on the top of her head, "I think that they're happy that Ebbie is talking again sweetheart."

"But mama . . . . . ." Kiraz buttoned her lips realizing that she shouldn't let out Ebru's secret. It was up to Ebru to tell them that they had been talking for weeks now, ever since the first time on the boat. She would just stay silent.

Defne brushed Ebru's hair back from her face, "Ebbie, you used your words again. We're so proud of you. We missed hearing your sweet voice."

She nodded against Defne's shoulder, "Daddy Serkan and mama told me that they believed in me."

Rolling her eyes a little at Ebru's terms, she looked at Serkan and Eda then pointed to her ring finger, "You had better get on that with these two."

Her droll sense of humor made the three adults break out into laughter. Serkan assured her, "Eda and I are already way ahead of you. I asked and she said yes."

Emir's head whipped around so fast he got a little crick in his neck, "Really? You two are getting married? We get to keep the boat? I mean we get to keep Eda?"

Eda chuckled, "We're negotiating the boat Emir, don't worry."

Ayfer stood to hug Eda and whisper in her ear, "I'm very happy for you dear, this is a good choice. A very good choice."

"I think so. It feels very right. You'll stay with us though, right? Maybe go back to school like we talked about?" Serkan watched the two women, he heard part of their conversation.

"We rather insist Ayfer, you have a gift. And I think I mentioned before. You're part of this family."

"Thank you Serkan, I am very happy to be part of this family and I will think about school. To be honest, since our conversation earlier, it has been on my mind."

Eda wrapped her arm around Ayfer's shoulders, "I hope that you do this Ayfer, you really have a gift."

Kiraz had been sitting patiently but still had no answer to her question. She tugged on Serkan's hand, "Daddy, are we getting a puppy or a kitten? Maybe we should get both since there are so many of us," she suggested.

Serkan swung her up in his arms, "Kiki, my sweet, I think that your mama and I will need to talk about this tonight and decide which is the best option. Much of the work during the day will fall on Ayfer, so if we get either a puppy or a kitten you will all need to promise us that you will learn how to take care of your new pet once you get home from school and on the weekends. Understand?"

All four of them nodded. Serkan was serious when he said that they would talk to Ayfer about it, but this was a big responsibility even for him. He always had a dog growing up, but then there was always staff to take care of it when he didn't. Serkan had to admit that he wasn't the most responsible as a child. His siblings were more responsible than he had been due to necessity.

He walked with Ayfer to the door that evening, "Don't let it overwhelm you Serkan. Much has happened today, more for you today than most people have in a month. Take a deep breath, relax, talk to Eda. You don't have to decide everything all at once."