027

"I WILL ALWAYS HELP YOU"

Delilah Byers had only lived in her house in California for 2 months when she had made the difficult decision to take Mike up on his offer and move back to Hawkins to live with him. She hadn't been able to adapt, she hated the school, she hated the area, she missed her friends and mostly she missed Mike. Besides, she knew it was hard for her mom, having 4 kids to deal with, El had been struggling with the death of Hopper and Delilah hadn't gotten over everything that had happened, it was a lot for Joyce to deal with.

But, there was two days until spring break and Del and Mike were going to go to California to visit.

Delilah sat on her bed, reading through her letter from El.

Dear Del, 
                  Today is day 185 . Feels more like ten years. Joyce says time is funny like that.  Emotions can make it speed up or slow down.  We are all time travelers if you think about it.    Joyce got an amazing new job.  She gets to work at home.  She says she loves the freedom. She says she misses you, but that it's for the best that you're in Hawkins with Mike because then you can find your happiness again.

Will is painting a lot,  but he won't show me what he's working on. Maybe it is for a girl.  I think there is someone he likes,  because he has been acting weird.  Jonathan is acting weird also. I think he is just nervous about college. His funny friend Argyle has been taking us to school. His hair is longer than mine And he and Jonathan like to smoke smelly plants together.  Jonathan says the plants are super safe  because they come from the earth,  but to not tell Joyce.

Me? I am twice as happy now. You were right. It just takes time.  I think I have finally adapted. At first, I missed all the spring flowers,  but now I find it pretty here too.  I even like school now.  I am still best at math, but my grammar is getting good now also.

It helps that everyone is so nice here.  I have made lots of friends.  Even so, I am ready for spring break,
mostly because I get to see you and Mike.
Are you excited too?

I think we will have the best spring break ever.I hope my spelling was better this time. We all miss you.

Love, El.

"The hell are you doing? It's ten after?" Delilah burst into Mikes room telling him what Nancy had told her to tell him.

"Oh, shit. shit" he scrambled.

"Thirty seconds or me and Nancy are leaving without you, okay?  Thirty seconds" she laughed.

"Okay, I have to find my pants" Mike stood up.

"Oh, god" Delilah covered her eyes and walked out of the door.

Mike rushed into the kitchen, pulling a hellfire club tee shirt over his head.

"Michael, I know your D&D club is tonight" Karen started.

"Hellfire" Mike corrected her.

"Why don't you call it the High School Dropout Club?" Ted sipped his coffee.

"I want you home no later than 9" Karen told him.

"I'll try" he told her.

"No trying. You need to go to bed early" she continued.

"Why?" He asked.

"It's a 6am flight, Michael" Ted groaned.