ENTRIES FROM LO QINGSEN'S NOTEBOOK

February 16, 1882

Cavite

I.
My name is Lo Qingsen. Born on the second of May in the year 1870, I emerged into this world as a scion of privilege, nestled within the bosom of a Chinese Mestiza principalia family.

Our lineage, intertwined with the annals of history, bears the weight of generations past, a legacy steeped in tradition and honor. Yet, beyond the confines of our familial estate, lies a realm of influence that extends beyond the ordinary, for we are not merely aristocrats but members of a clandestine  order—the Templar rite of the Colonial Islas de las Filipinas.

In the labyrinthine corridors of power, we navigate with the finesse of those born into privilege, shielded from the ravages of hardship that afflict the masses. While others toil under the yoke of Spain's stringent rule, we stand among the fortunate few, insulated by our noble status, our destinies intertwined with the fate of our homeland.

But ours is not a life untouched by the machinations of power and ambition. Within the clandestine circles of the Templar Order, we tread carefully, our every action calculated, our allegiance unwavering. For in the shadows, where alliances are forged and secrets lie buried, lies the true battleground, where the fate of nations hangs in the balance.

Growing up, I was always reminded of my uniqueness, attributed to my distinctively colored eyes. Some would even whisper that I was the child prophesied by the Templars, destined to shape the future of the world. Despite these accolades, my upbringing was strict. My father, Xue Yuan, a high-ranking Templar lieutenant within the Cavite Templar Rite, often delivered stern lectures (well not personally) on proper behavior and conduct. I often questioned the necessity of such discipline.

In contrast, my mother, Lorena Ines Catalina Alonzo, emphasized the importance of authenticity. She instilled in me the belief that embracing my true self was paramount, regardless of societal expectations. And in being true to myself, I found solace in my passions for painting and storytelling. Spending time with my mother and my sister, Mei Wan, allowed me to flourish as an individual, providing a sanctuary from the rigidity of Templar doctrine.

II.
Books were scattered around me as I sat hunched over at the study table, exhaustion evident from the hours I had spent studying in the study hall, illuminated by the soft glow of the lamps.

"Your swordplay training starts tomorrow. After reading these, a preceptor will come to test your knowledge." Father said in a lecture tone.

"Why do I need to learn all these?" I asked exhaustingly, pointing at the books as I am tired of studying all day, all week. (this is not an exaggeration.)

"Learn all what?" With a hint of annoyance.

"THESE! I've been reading all about the doctrines of our order, reading the history of the country and how our order contributed to it, and lastly, how I should act on certain things." I replied with my raised voice.

(A moment of awkward silence)

Without saying a word, my father left the room impassively.

My relationship with my father was strained, to say the least. According to rumors among the household staff, my father was on track to become the Templar Grandmaster. However, my untimely birth disrupted these plans. Just days before the initiation ceremony, I came into the world, prompting my grandparents to suspend the proceedings and pass the mantle to another candidate.

The reasons behind this decision remained shrouded in mystery, leaving me with a sense of guilt and confusion. I couldn't comprehend why my arrival would warrant such a drastic change in our family's destiny. This incident cast a shadow over my relationship with my father, adding a layer of complexity to our interactions.

Pssst. I heard a noise as if someone were calling my attention.

"Who's there?"

"Brother, let's go outside!" said a silhouette of a girl peeking through the door frame.
"Oh, it's just you, Mei Mei!"

"Hurry, let's go!" My sister whispered loudly.

"I can't, I need to finish reading this chapter from the history book!"

"And why are you whispering?" 

"Let's just go and hurry before your lecturer arrives!"
I have to admit that I am tempted to run away with my sister to play outside, as I am very exhausted studying throughout the day.

We ran through the halls and saw the night sky through the windows.
"Wait, it's already dark?" I asked

"You've been inside the study hall since breakfast," my sister replied in a mocking tone.

My sister and I went outside the Residencia Familiar Lo to play with the local kids. Sadly, they seem to be afraid of us, maybe because of the differences in our societal status. I really hated this kind of system where you could distinguish between the poor and the rich. I do wish that one day everything changes. After all, it's getting to feel lonely, knowing no one wants to play with us.

"Since there are no kids interested in playing with us, maybe we could play sword fights!" I suggested with a cheerful voice.

"Hmmm, let's!" my sister replied in an enthusiastic tone.

As we played outside, my attention was suddenly drawn to a group of mysterious figures clad in black robes, stealthily making their way towards our home. Their ominous presence sent a shiver down my spine, casting a foreboding shadow over the once serene atmosphere. Each step they took seemed to echo with an unsettling gravity, filling me with a sense of apprehension and dread.

"Who are those?"

"Oh, I think they were the members of the council of our order," my sister answered.

"I heard they are having an assembly tonight with the father, along with the grandmaster," she added.

"The grandmaster?!" I found it astounding that the Templar Grandmaster came to visit our house along with the council.

Peering through the foliage of the garden, I witnessed a disconcerting scene unfold before me. My parents, usually warm and welcoming, stood at the entrance, greeting the enigmatic figures clad in ominous black robes. Their expressions were stoic and devoid of emotion, adding to the eerie atmosphere that pervaded the encounter. A sense of unease settled over me as I observed their silent exchange, wondering what secrets lay hidden beneath their inscrutable facades.

Rushing back to the study hall, I found my personal lecturer awaiting my return, his expression etched with unmistakable displeasure. His furrowed brow and tense demeanor immediately set me on edge, hinting at the severity of whatever awaited me within the confines of his stern gaze.

"Le pido disculpas por llegar tarde, maestro. I was using the baño." I apologized while breathing heavily.

"Your excuse is denied, don. I heard you muttering through-out the window, playing with your sister."

My jaw tightened, and a cold sweat trickled down my back, my nerves heightening with each passing moment. "Think, Qingsen. Think, Qingsen," I repeated silently to myself, trying to calm the whirlwind of anxious thoughts swirling in my mind.

"I assumed you already studied every chapter of these books. If so, we shall start your test, señor," my preceptor declared in a serious manner.

With no other excuses coming to mind, I reluctantly began taking the test, my mind still racing with worry and distraction. Every question felt like a weight on my shoulders, dragging me further into a pit of anxiety.

In The Eyes of a Noble: An Assassin's Creed Revolution Novelजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें