June 27, 1885

I.

As morning broke, the soft hues of dawn gently filtered through my window, painting the room with a warm glow. However, it was not the sunlight that roused me from my sleep, but the rhythmic clatter of cutlery and the faint aroma of breakfast wafting through the air, enticing me to rise and join the morning repast. Upon rising, a servant from Carmen's household gently knocked on the closed door. 

"I'm already awake!" I acknowledged from behind the door. 

"You may come down for breakfast," the servant informed me. 

"Thank you," I replied gratefully before preparing myself to join them downstairs for the morning meal.

As I descended the stairs, Carmen and Mang Dantes welcomed me to the dining table. Despite it being breakfast, Carmen was dressed elegantly, her attire reflecting her refined taste. I took my seat at the table, appreciating the effort that had gone into preparing the morning meal.

"Magandang umaga, Senor Lukas," Carmen greeted me with a warm smile, adding a touch of hospitality to the morning ambiance.

"Magandang umaga, bata," Mang Dantes greeted me with a nod, his expression conveying a sense of cordiality and respect.

I returned their gesture with a polite nod and replied, "Good morning, Senora Carmen... Mang Dantes."

"Oh, come, let's say our prayers before we eat," Carmen said warmly, her eyes bright with sincerity. "Mang Dantes, could you lead us?"

Mang Dantes nodded in agreement, his expression serious yet reverent. We all followed suit, bowing our heads in prayer as he led us in offering our thanks and blessings for the meal.

After our prayer, Carmen gestured for me to take a piece of pandesal first, then followed herself, and lastly, Mang Dantes. She also served me a portion of garlic rice and topped my plate with Tapa. This act, although unusual for the principalia, as servants usually serve food to guests or their masters, was a testament to Carmen's upbringing in a caring household. It felt strange yet comforting, assuring me of her hospitable nature.

"This isn't poisoned, right?" I said, sardonic.

Carmen chuckled in response. "Hey, Of course not! These are all safe to eat!"

"If we wanted to do away with you, I would've done it last night while you were asleep," Mang Dantes quipped with a short chuckle.

"Mang Dantes!" Carmen scolded, her voice tinged with annoyance.

Carmen swiftly shifted the conversation to a different topic, diverting attention from Mang Dantes' jest.

"So, where are you headed that made you pass through the town of Santiago?" Carmen asked wholeheartedly while eating.

I swallowed my food first to show respect and etiquette. "Based on the map I'm following, I'm headed north," I paused briefly. "I think, maybe, Vigan."

"Vigan?" Mang Dantes said, looking at his food.

"Yes," I replied before taking another bite.

Mang Dantes remained silent at my words and continued eating. His reaction was awkward, so I just resumed eating as well.

"Thank you for this lavish breakfast, Senora Carmen, Mang Dantes," I said, expressing my respect and gratitude.

After finishing breakfast, I made my way back to my room to ready myself for departure towards Vigan. I meticulously arranged my clothes, distinguishing between those I had already worn and those I had yet to use.