Introducing Edward

"Your honor, seeing as it's his first offense, I believe diversion is the best choice. My client has no record of encounters with law enforcement prior to this episode, and I don't believe he will have another."

"Mr. Talmage, I am suspending your driving privileges for ninety days. I am ordering you into diversion. I'm suspending your one-year jail sentence, contingent on your completing diversion. You will be free to walk out today, provided you pay your fines before you leave this courtroom. Are you prepared to do so?"

"Yes, your honor. And thank you."

My dad, who had driven me to court, paid my fines and fees.

My name is Edward Talmage. At twenty-two years old, my life has hit rock-bottom. At least I hope it's not possible to go any lower. I still live with my dad. I'm a college drop-out. I have no job, and no hope for my future.

I was born into a wealthy family. We were well respected. My dad, Jefferson Talmage, is a corporate tax attorney. My mom, Samantha Talmage, is a realtor. She used to be a real estate broker with Melverson Financial. She also bought and sold investment properties on the side. My older sister, Amanda, was the prettiest girl in the state. She was expected to marry into the Ryndon family fortune. Needless to say, we were at the top of the social status ladder.

My personal decline began nine years ago. My sister threw in her lot with a family of grubbers – the Whitakers. Her choices cost our family a mountain of status. When my parents found out, they disowned her. We severed all ties with her. She went on to marry Joshua Whitaker. He'd been one of her classmates.

My parents were divorced three months after severing ties with my sister. Mom actually felt guilty about Amanda's having been ostracized from our family. The judge gave me the choice of which parent I wanted to stay with. I chose to stay with my dad.

I had the displeasure of having Joshua Whitaker's brother, Reuben, as one of my classmates. Roughly a year after Amanda had parted company with my family, I was asked about her. It was during our lunch break, on an otherwise average Monday. I hadn't had any contact with her, so instead I decided to vent my feelings toward her. I may have exaggerated a little. Once I'd finished my rant, Reuben Whitaker tripped me as I was walking past him. Not only did he embarrass me, but I was humiliated by the other students laughing at me, and making fun of me. When I got up, I punched Reuben in the nose.

I thought I'd made my point, but Reuben beat me within an inch of my life. By the time he was finished, my right Radius was fractured. Both of my eyes were swollen shut. I had four broken teeth, which would be replaced with implants. My nose needed to be reconstructed. I had two cracked ribs, and four others were bruised. My left eye has a permanent squint. I thought for sure that grubber was going to kill me that day.

I ended up changing schools. No one I knew from our society wanted anything to do with me. They were familiar with my family, and wouldn't even interact with me in the classroom. I had no interest in forming friendships with grubbers, even though they extended olive branches, so I became a loner.

After the divorce, my dad became overly withdrawn. He lost himself in his work, and he barely said two words to anyone. He did sneak into my sister's wedding. He said he left while they were kissing at the end of the ceremony. There was honest emotion in his voice when he described the hymeneals.

My dad gave me an Italian touring car for my eighteenth birthday. He thought maybe having something nice, which was also fun, would put the spring back in my step.

I started drinking alcohol when I was eighteen. I was stealing it from my dad's liquor cabinet. He didn't seem to care. He began replenishing his supply, and also buying cheap booze for me.

I took two years off before going to college. When I finally started college, I remained a loner. I was studying business management. My grades were dismal, but I simply didn't care. I figured I would ride my father's coattails into a cushy accounting job at the same firm.