An Up-Hill Battle for Clarity

All of the stress of dealing with the house and my dad's stuff was wearing on me. I really wanted to get away and clear my head. I was thinking about several options. I decided to take Saturday off, and disappear for a day.

Mom and I had finished dinner and we were clearing the table, when Josh called.

"Hey, Ed. How are you holding up?"

"I'm still sober. I've been focusing on work, but I'm feeling burned out."

"Amanda and Tabby are going to a bridal shower for Bridgette on Saturday. You want to get together?"

"I'm thinking about taking off for the day. There's a trailhead about forty-five minutes away. The trail is an old forest service road which leads up to a disused forest fire look-out tower. I was thinking about riding my bike up there, and having a picnic lunch."

At that moment it became obvious Josh had his phone on speaker.

"Uncle Ed, I want to go! I want to ride my bike on that trail! Please, can I go with you?" Jacob was very excited, and I had to make a snap decision.

On the one hand, I was building relationships with my in-laws. I was starting to feel like I was actually part of the family. I really treasured the time I spent with each one of them. Besides which, I'd promised Jacob when he became a proficient rider, I'd take him out to some of the more challenging trails.

On the other hand, a quiet ride alone was just what I needed to clear my mind. I would be alone all day. No distractions. None of the usual stresses. It was a chance to obtain some real clarity. I made my decision.

"Josh, would you like to go?"

"Sounds challenging. How long of a ride is it?"

"Seven miles, give or take. It's rutted, and rocky. Probably overgrown in a few places."

"In that case, we'd better pack some snacks, and water bottles."

"It runs parallel to a stream. The water is always crystal clear, and usually cold."

"Do you want us to pick you up?"

"My pickup has four doors, so I'll pick you up. I'll be there between six-thirty, and seven."

Jacob said, "Thank you, uncle Ed!"

Josh added, "We'll be ready."

The next afternoon, Bret dropped by the store. He was there to visit Bryce.

"Josh told me you are going on a bike ride up to the Gallaway Peak look-out tower."

"Yes, on Saturday morning. Have you ever been there?"

"My National Guard unit hiked up to it once. Would it be all right with you if my boys and I join you? Elise will be helping Robert and Helen babysit while Amanda and Tabby are at a bridal shower."

"I don't see why not. The more, the merrier."

I pulled into Josh's driveway at six-forty-five, Saturday morning. Jacob rode his bike out from behind the house. He stopped behind my truck. As I was stepping out, Josh walked out pushing his bike. I opened the tailgate, and lifted Jacob's bike into the bed. I showed him how to secure it. Josh lifted his in, and Jacob helped me get it secured. Amanda walked out with a plate of individually wrapped breakfast burritos.

"Edward, have you had breakfast?"

"I was planning on waiting until I'd ridden a couple of miles. I packed some healthy snacks for the day."

"You can't go riding on an empty stomach."

"I don't usually eat in the morning."

"This morning you will. I won't have you setting a bad example for my son," she smiled, "or my husband."