Accounting for the Present

Mom had spent her evenings going through dad's papers. The hospital was ready to have him transferred to a long-term care facility, so we were researching options. We narrowed it down to two, and went to tour the two facilities. Josh, Amanda, and Reuben joined mom and I. The one closest to home seemed to be the better option. We did paperwork, and mom contacted the hospital to arrange transportation.

Back at Mom's house, she filled us in on what she'd found in his papers.

"He'd been planning this for a while. He had the deed for the house, the title for his car, and part of his stock portfolio ready to transfer into Edward's name. He left a will of sorts, detailing his accounts. He has a stack of bearer bonds he wants given to Amanda. All of his stocks which pay dividends are earmarked for Amanda's kids' college funds. He divided them into three separate bank accounts. He has a document prepared for transferring each account. His retirement account has been placed in a money market account for Ed, who's been named sole beneficiary of his life insurance. He bought a cemetery plot, and has his funeral paid for."

Josh said, "Since he's still alive, the real question is the next step. Samantha, did you get a chance to look over his health insurance policy?"

"I contacted an agent, and we went over it. The policy will cover the facility for one year, but we will be responsible for the first five hundred dollars each month. After a year, that coverage expires, and we'll be on our own for the cost of the facility."

I said, "So we'll sell his car. I'd be happy to sell that house. I doubt any of us would ever want to live there, anyway. We can put that money into an escrow account for the facility, and medical expenses."

Amanda added, "Sell the bearer bonds. Add that to the escrow account."

"Sis, dad wants you to have those. He was probably thinking about you and Josh in your retirement years."

We all met at the house on Sunday, after church. We walked through, deciding what could be sold, and what we could donate to charity. The rooms all needed a fresh coat of paint. The master bathroom needed a new tub, and counter-tops.

"Josh, will you call your friend, and get an estimate?"

"Tomorrow morning." I gave him my dad's keys.

The sporting goods store where I work received a truckload of new merchandise on Wednesday morning. There were ten, child sized bicycles.

Bryce said, "I didn't order them, and the supplier won't take them back. How good are you at selling bikes?"

The staff all looked at one-another.

"I'll buy one. I'll give it to my six year old nephew. He doesn't have one yet."

I put the bike, still in its box, in the back seat of my car. I spent the remainder of the day assembling the rest of the bikes. They were arranged at the front of the store.

Reuben and Tabby live on a quiet suburban street. Mom and I met Josh, Amanda, and the kids at Reuben and Tabby's on Saturday morning. Mom was going with Amanda and Josh, to visit dad.

Amanda asked, "What's in the box?" I opened the door to my backseat.

"I hope you don't mind, I bought Jacob a present. I'm hoping we can put it together this morning." Jacob's face lit up.

"You got me a bike?"

"It's a BMX, like the one I learned to ride on when I was your age. I also took the liberty of getting you a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads."

Reuben opened his garage, and I pulled the box out of my backseat. Jacob helped me carry it into the garage. Josh, Amanda, and mom left in mom's car.

Jacob ripped open the box, and started getting the parts out.

Reuben said, "Easy, Jake. Don't lose any of the parts."

I asked, "Jacob, could you remove the plastic from the frame?"

He unwrapped it, and put the plastic in the trash. I grabbed the tube of bearing grease from my car.

"Jacob, if you could unwrap all of the other parts, and lay them out on the floor?" He proceeded to do so.

Reuben opened his tool cabinet. He pulled out a few wrenches, and sockets. He took out a battery operated impact wrench. I showed Jacob how to grease the bearings for the forks. We set about assembling his bike. We finger-tightened everything.

Reuben asked, "Jake, I understand you want to learn how to use power tools."

He nodded.

I whispered, "Jacob, I bet if you ask nicely." I nodded toward Reuben.

"Uncle Reuben, may I please use your power tools?"

"Of course. This is an impact driver."

Reuben showed Jacob how to operate it. They spent several minutes tightening all of the nuts and bolts. Once they were finished, I helped Reuben hold the bike while we adjusted the handlebar angle, and seat height.

"Uncle Ed, did you really ride a bike when you were a kid?"

"Yeah, all the time. I loved riding off-road. There are several parks with trails around here. Get good at riding, and maybe we can ride a few of them together."

"What's the longest trail you went on?"

"When I was sixteen, I went on a mountain biking adventure around the Olympic Peninsula, in Washington state. The tour started in the town of Chinook, Washington, and followed the Pacific Northwest Trail up the pacific coast, and around into Puget sound. It ended in Olympia, Washington."

We'd finished assembling Jacob's bike, and Reuben was putting away his tools when Tabby walked out. She had sodas for us.

"Aunt Tabby! Look at my new bike!"

"It's very nice, Jacob. Can you ride it?"

"Not yet. But uncle Ed says when I learn, he'll go on bike rides with me."

When we sat down for lunch, Mom filled us in on dad.

"His liver and kidneys are functioning. His stomach has ulcers, so he's on a special diet while those are healing. The physical therapy people have him moving his arms and legs. He's bright eyed, and using gestures."

Amanda added, "They have him able to stand and pivot, with help, so he can go from his bed to a wheelchair, and back."

I asked, "So was he in a chair while you visited?"

Josh answered, "We were able to wheel him outside for a while. He seems to relish his time outdoors. He was smiling at the sunshine, and pointing at the flowers."

After lunch, we all watched Josh give Jacob his first riding lesson. They were going back and forth on the sidewalk in front of the house. They gradually went farther, until they were almost to the end of the block.

I asked Amanda, "Are you looking forward to being able to take family bike rides?"

"I can't ride a bike."

"Why not?"

"I never learned."

"Why didn't you?"

"It's bad for status. No starling would be caught dead on a bicycle."

"Sis, you haven't been a starling for nearly a decade."

"I haven't had time, or any interest. Being a full-time mom is very time consuming."