Reunited and it Feels so Good

Ninety days had elapsed, and I was able to drive again. Dad bought a used Japanese luxury sedan for me. It had some miles on it, but it was reliable transportation.
My dad told me I needed to find a job, and start working on getting my life in order. I had been filling out applications all over town, but the DUII conviction I had hanging over my head might as well have been a scarlet letter on my shirt. All of those rejections were wearing on me. All I wanted was to buy a big bottle of booze, and drown my sorrows. It got so bad that my dad confiscated my credit card.

My car was out of gas, so dad dropped me off in town. By that afternoon, I was desperate. I even contemplated stealing from a liquor store.

I walked into a hardware store. I was intent on filling out an application, even though I didn't know the first thing about hardware. I was shaking, and obviously frazzled. I was standing at the counter when someone walked up behind me.

"Talmage? What's up?" It was Reuben Whitaker.

"Hi, Reuben. Can we talk?"

"Hey, Brian. I need a few minutes."

"Take whatever time you need," his boss replied.

Reuben grabbed my upper arm, and walked me out to his car. He opened the passenger door.

"Get in." I sat down.

He sat in the driver's seat.

"Talk to me, Ed."

"Reuben, you are the last person I should be talking to. I'm still afraid of you."

"You obviously need to talk to someone. I'm here now, and willing to listen. So leave our past behind, and talk to me."

I unloaded on him. By the time I finished, I was sobbing. Reuben pulled a box of facial tissues from the back seat.

"Pregnant wives and their emotions. You haven't experienced that joy, yet."

As I was calming down, he made a phone call.

"Hey, when will you be home? – Oh, that's right. I forgot it was Thursday. – Yes, and you need to set an extra place. – Yup, see you in a bit. – Bye."

We pulled up in front of a home in an average suburban neighborhood. The house was a single story, ranch style. There was a white, German, luxury sedan parked in the driveway, with a blue minivan parked next to it.

"Josh and I help take care of the landscape. Last week, my nephew, Jacob, helped his dad mow."

When we got to the door, he walked right in. His three year old daughter ran up to him.

"Daddy, you're early!"

He picked her up and kissed her on the cheek.

"Ed, this is my daughter, Hannah."

"Hello, Hannah."

We were joined by Reuben's wife, Tabitha. She looked ready to go into labor at any time. They kissed, and held hands as they walked away.

Reuben glanced back at me.

"Come on." We walked into the kitchen.

I froze when I saw her. She turned around, and we made eye contact.

"Edward?"

"Mom?"

We embraced. Neither of us wanted to let go. Tabitha took over stirring whatever was on the stove.

When we sat down to eat, mom told me about her life since leaving my dad.

We were finishing dinner when Tabitha groaned.

"Honey, it's time."

I couldn't identify all of the different emotions Reuben's face displayed simultaneously. He stood, and helped her up.

Mom said, "I'll make the calls."

Reuben and Tabitha left. Mom called Reuben's parents, and Tabitha's dad. She also made one more call.

"Hi, Amanda. Tabby's on her way to the hospital. – Yes, Reuben is driving her. I just called Helen, and Dale. – Would you be willing to come pick up Hannah? – Oh, Tabby's van. It's parked in my driveway. – That will be fine. Have a good night." Mom turned to me. "So, Edward. Have you spoken to your sister at all?"

"Not since that one time when dad and I went to church."

"She told me you went. Why haven't you gone back?"

"The reception we got was on the icy side. I don't believe she was happy to see us."

"Deep down she was. You need to sit down with her, and have a heart to heart."

"Mom, there's a lot she doesn't know. A lot that I'm terribly ashamed to have to admit."

"It couldn't be that bad. You've been living with your dad in the lap of luxury. I'm sure you still get to enjoy the parties...." I interrupted her.

"Mom, I'm an alcoholic!" She was taken aback by my admission.

My phone rang.

"Hi, Dad."

"Son, where are you?"

"I'm at mom's."

"How did you wind up there?"

"Reuben Whitaker brought me. Long story."

"Will you be able to get home?"

Mom said, "I'll drive him home."

"Hello, Samantha."

"Our son just told me he's an alcoholic."

"We both are, and we are both in recovery."

"Okay, well, I'll drive Edward home later."

I added, "Dad, Reuben took Tabitha to the hospital a little while ago. She's in labor."

"I hope it goes well for her. See you when you get home."

After Mom, Hannah, and I finished dessert, we sat in her living room.

"Hannah, do you want a brother, or a sister?"

"One of each."

"Is your mom expecting twins?"

"No, a baby."

"Do you want it to be a boy, or a girl?"

"We already know it's a boy."

Joshua picked up Hannah.

"Uncle Josh! Daddy took mommy to the hospital."

"Hi, cupcake. Are you ready to go?"

"I guess."

"Don't you want to go play with Louise and Trina?"

"Yes!"

"Where's your 'just in case' bag?"

Mom and I talked in her living room until eleven-thirty.

"I never thought I'd come back here." Mom was dropping me off at home.

"Would you like to come in for a minute?"

"I'll pass. Too many painful memories."

Mom and I exchanged phone numbers before I went in.