𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

"Inari wake up." I felt my eyes flutter open, seeing Kai standing in front of me with coffee and donuts in his hands. "I brought everyone some donuts and coffee, you're the only person who hasn't gotten any." I took the donut from his hand, eating a piece of it. "Thank you Kai." I smiled at him, taking another bite out of the donut.

I sat up, looking around to see it was only Kai and Iris in the waiting room. "Where is everyone else?" I asked curiously. "Rowan woke up an hour and that's where they've been since. Unfortunately, it's only immediate family for now." Kai replied.

I looked over to Iris who looked like she'd been crying all night. Her face was completely blank with red bags under her eyes. "Has she eaten?" I asked Kai and he looked over to her. "I don't think she even slept most of the night." Kai said and I stood from my seat. "I don't think Rowan will like to hear that you haven't eaten since yesterday evening." I joked, walking over to her.

I sat on side of her, giving her a donut. "I'm not hungry." She tried to push the donut away, but I shoved it in her face. "Iris? Eat." I demanded. She stared at me for a moment before she took the donut from my hand, taking a small bite out of it. "Iris what's bothering you?" I asked, staring into her eyes.

"Nothing. Just the thought of what if things went sideways and she didn't make it? Inari I haven't liked someone like this in so long and her being a police officer? It scares me. I want to be with her someday, but I don't know if I can." Iris looked over to me with a look of guilt.

"Iris it's perfectly fine to feel that way. Her line of work is terrifying, but Rowan has always wanted to be a police officer since we were kids. Trust me, Rowan knows what she's doing, but that's a conversation you should sit down with her and have, okay?" I stated and Iris nodded her head.

I heard the elevator doors open and I turned to see Mr. Rafael walking over to Iris and I. "She said she wants to see you three." Mr. Rafael said looking at Kai, Iris, and I. We all stared at each other before we got onto the elevator, going up to the fifth floor of the hospital. We watched the elevator open, revealing a huge gift shop in front of us.

"Isn't that something?" I said realizing none of us had gotten Rowan anything. We walked into the gift shop, seeing so many options. I grabbed three balloons, a teddy bear, and a jumbo get well card that I wrote a long paragraph in before we made our way to her room.