Chapter Ten: End Is Near

<TW> blood, gore, violence, mention of possession, fear, ambush, false hope(?), character death...

<CW> angst, feral Grian, G and Mumbo fighting

[MAIN PLOT BY Roxy-Rox0 ]

Xisuma exited his library, this time his face wasn't melancholy and tired—well, it might've been tired. In fact, his expression was hopeful, of all things. And, another new thing, this time the admin wasn't empty handed. He held a dark leather back book. One that he hoped would be useful to the making of a solution to their green problem, and that had taken him awhile to find.

He walked down a few hallways and made it to the room before Cub and Gem's temporary lab—a kitchen. Scar wasn't at the door leading to the lab's door, or making some sugary treat either. Maybe he's with Etho and Bdubs? Or maybe he's with Zedaph? Those questions briefly entered Xisuma's mind, and he didn't know the answer to either. But he wasn't worried about that yet, his main thought was getting the heavy book to Cub or Gem—or both.

"Oh, hey, X. Where are you going in such a hurry?" Iskall asked while catching the voidling before he fell. X great fully smiled—although the smile remained unseen because of his thick metal air ventilation mask and visor. He brushed himself off—even though it wasn't necessary, not a spec of dust was on his clothes—and righted a few wrinkles in his pants unnecessarily.

"Thanks, Iskall." Xisuma stood up straight and held up the book, letting Iskall observe its strangely blank cover. "I think this book could be useful, so I'm going to the CG-Lab," X explained. He continued walking shortly after, hefting the book safely in his arms. Iskall quickly turned and followed after him, he flipped the lever opening the iron door that led to the CG-Lab, so that X didn't have to balance the book on his leg to open the door. They entered together, Iskall going first.

Cub looked up and at the door immediately, he smiled tiredly at the two new arrivals before handing Gem a potion, and turning back to his cluttered desk. Gem waved, then walked back to her own table space. Iskall and Xisuma walked towards Cub, regaining his attention.

  "What can I do for you?" Cub asked. Xisuma carefully placed the book in his arms on an empty corner of Cub's desk and Iskall gestured to it. Cub looked at the dark cover—the eye unsettled him a bit, but he brushed that off—and opened it curiously. Cub frowned and his eyebrows raised.

  "Why's it in another language?" Cub could read it just fine—the language was the same as the one in enchanting tables—but it was unusual for a book—or anything really—to be written in any uncommon languages.  (A common language being: German, Spanish, English, Japanese—basically any language that is spoken in any main area in our world. An uncommon language would be a language like Galactic, or Ender.)

  "It's one of the books Grian lent me," Xisuma explained, as if that answered the question perfectly. Cub nodded skeptically and turned back to the book, reading through the pages as fast as he could.

  Iskall decided to wander off to see what Gem was doing, and he went over to her to help—only if she needed it, of course. X walked to the area of the lab that Bdubs built, he made it so that Gem and Cub could get proper sleep—there were also a few extra beds, but all of them rarely got used unless Jellie wanted a nap. Scar deemed that place the 'Relax Room.' The small desks that were set up were cluttered with potions and post-it notes.

  X leaned against a nearby wall and looked around the room, he let the tension leave his body as he kept an eye on the few Hermits in the lab. The other Hermits were out and about, collecting things—while they could—to bring back to their "main base." A.k.a. Xisuma's base.