My plan had finally had some motion; even if it saw me screaming to the lords above with a man's head between my legs, not my brightest moment, but I'm not completely complaining.

I had a good understanding now of what the prince's mouth can do, and now I was wondering, thinking, and scheming: do I make myself a sexual godess that he can't help but indulge in?

I had left quiet and expression when I strutted out of the palace gates a few weeks ago; it was iconic, legendary, and bad bitch of me.

No gossip about the ball had been going around in the village I lived in, but the one goss train that was running at full speed was that there was a shortlist, and it was incredible short...I wonder why?

As I placed my dishes in the sink and turned around to blow out my table candles, a knock disrupted me. It wasn't a subtle one either; I don't know who needed to bang down my door at 7pm like this, but I wasn't having it.

I walked over and flung open the door, suspecting some kids to be playing knock-down ginger. However, I was met with the man I thought would never show his face around these parts, let alone at my doorstep.

"Your highness." I curtsied as he chuckled and rolled his eyes. "Miss Lovett," he said gently and with authority, causing me to frown. I thought this was his way of coming back to me, but I guess I was wrong.

"How can I help?" My words instantly became cold and bitter as my expression mirrored his frown. He gestured, asking if he could come in, and I stepped aside, letting him do so.

I watched as his eyes scanned every inch of my living space—not as fancy as the palace he was so used to staying in, but I wasn't coming from money like some.

"Cute place." The small talk was killing me; deep down, he didn't care if it was a cute house or a run-down one. "Cut to the chase, Blaine," I bluntly replied as he sighed and took a seat at my table.

"I want you to come to the palace; I want you to be part of the shortlist of women," he said as I burst out laughing, taking a seat for myself. "You can't be serious; I thought I was too young for you, 26 and all. Also,  may I add, I am not auditioning to play your wife!" I stated as he nodded and leant back on the chair.

"I apologise for what I said, I was shocked in the heat of the moment, I left that lifestyle behind when I was in my 20's I was dumb, chasing after any girl who paid me the slightest bit of attention, Think of this as just to apease my mother." I stifled a laugh and rolled my eyes.

"No disrespect your highness, but you're 40 years old. Abiding by every word your mother yaps at you with, auditioning to be the third person in her command is not what I want to be doing." I stated as he nodded understandingly and then he slid across an invitation.

"This time it has your name on it," he whispered as I looked down at the envelope that had my name in fancy italic handwriting and looked back over to him. He had his eyes already on me, watching and waiting for my reason.

I shook my head and headed to the door, opening it to signal him to leave. "Thank you for the invite," I muttered as he nodded, picking himself up and joining me at the door.

We stood by the door in complete silence for a while, neither of us wanting to speak up. Well,  not like there was much to speak about; this was my house, and I wanted him out. 

"I am rooting for you, Cass," he said as my eyes shot wider then I ever had opened them since my parent's passing away.

My father was the last person to call me Cass, and my mother was the first. It was a name that nobody else but they would call me, and hearing him say it left a sore ache in my heart and a pain in my chest.

My eyes glossed over as Blaine's expression softened, noticing the almost teary look. "Are you okay? Did I say something?" He asked as I swallowed down the pain in my chest and blinked, letting the glossiness disappear and be replaced by a gentle smile. "No, all is well. Thank you again for stopping by," I said as I pushed him out of the rest of my door and slammed it closed, closing my eyes and placing my head against the wall, letting the tears flow freely.

I can't deny how much I missed my parents, how much I wish I could have shown my mum the dress she had made for me, the way I looked that night, I wish I had my dad to sit around and show me how to make a fire out of mother nature, and how the stars will always guide you no matter the battle. 

I sat back down at the table and played around with the invitation that Blaine had left on the table. It was like this was all a game; I was done for a fair fight, I knew what I was up against, and I knew I had already had several advantages. All I had to do was keep this pretty little innocent but feisty half truth up, and I was going to be tearing the seams of the prefect picture down any time soon.