Maeve had been hot on my heels for the whole night; if she wasn't glued right next to me, I could feel her eyes dart every so often in my direction. I don't know whether to see if I had made an advance towards the prince, but that was something that the prince and I knew too well; I wouldn't chase a man. ever.

I took a seat at one of the few tables, taking some time to watch people mingle with each other while sipping on some champagne. I watched each person closely, all with plastered smiles on their faces, as they faked interest in each other's lives. sad really. 

Moving on to watching something more interesting, my gaze landed on the prince. His face lit up as he smiled and chuckled, his eyes never leaving the face of the woman he was talking to, which was Maeve, good ole Maeve.

His body language was relaxed, and he had a certain lean to him that suggested that he was indeed interested in Maeve. I pouted my lip and nodded to myself, "Fair." I threw back what was left in my flute and placed it on the table, standing up. As I did so, I looked up in the direction of the prince, realising he was already looking at me. I smiled, and he returned it and went back to paying Maeve's attention again.

I strutted up to the pair, who were deep in conversation, slipping myself into the conversation. "Oh my days, same! I was just saying to the other girls that this was such an opportunity—selling my life away for the sake of my Kingdom, If that isn't the noblest thing a women can do, what can we do? am I right?" I sarcastically interjected as the prince scoffed, and Maeve shot me a wide smile, trying to hide the fact that she really didn't want me there.

"I'm not forcing anyone to marry me if not for love." The prince explained as I nodded sarcastically as we looked at each other intensely, pulling faces at one another.

I chuckled, shaking my head and crossing my arms, watching as the prince's eyes shot down to my now-pushed-up cleavage, then back up at me. I gave him a smirk as he licked his lips quickly, looking over Maeve, who was awkwardly standing there sipping on her champagne.

"Maeve, what do you think about the Princes attire tonight?" I asked, keeping my eyes peeled on the prince, watching his expression harden and his eyes flicker to mine.

Maeve hesitated slightly as she cleared her throat. "He looks relaxed," she said as I chuckled and rolled my eyes.

"He looks like he is roleplaying some of us more local and common folk, but I guess you could say the relaxed look for someone of his status," I bluntly and bitterly stated, watching to see if his expression would have changed. nothing.

"Maeve, could you give us a minute, please?" The prince looked over at Maeve and gestured with his head for her to kick rocks, to which she curtsied and made herself useful somewhere else.

Once she was out of earshot, the prince grabbed me by my crossed arms and pulled me closer to him with a frown on his face. "Was that an attempt to embarrass me?" He whispered as I focused on the mist in his blue eyes. I shook my head in disagreement with a smirk. "Why would you think such a thing?" We both held eye contact as sternly as ever; it was like we both got off by challenging one another. I could see the lust building up in his gaze.

"I would be careful; everyone can see this interaction." I whispered, not dropping eye contact, with him giving him a wink as he adjusted himself, forgetting where he was currently. Sitting on the stage level while I stood in front of him, everyone could see his reactions and nobody could see mine. 

He shook his head and looked above me at all the women who had gone deadly quiet. This was the moment everyone had been waiting for. The red and gold invitation invitee was now in the presence of the prince, Anything could happen, and you could feel it in the air.

He got down from the stage level, and my eyes shot up at him, our chests pressing lightly against each other as he looked down at me with a smirk before leaning down and hoovering his lips near my ear, sending shivers down my spine and goosebumps to my skin.

"Go to the Knighting room," he demanded in a husky, low tone as his eyes kept on the women that were watching our interaction closely, the room still as silent, you could just about hear people breathing.

He stepped away and gestured with his head to the door that led to the rest of the palace, I looked up at him as I watched his lust-clouded eyes evaporate and a fiery mist replace them.

Without fighting back, which was a very hard urge to push down, I nodded and made my way up the stage steps, and the sound of my heels on the marble surface echoed through the room as I made my way to the door and then through it, letting out the breath I didn't realise I was holding in when I closed the door on the other side.

I had never personally been in the knighting hall; it was off limits when I was visiting as a child, I was confined to whatever room they had my mother wait in before going to see her royal customer, Other then the different bedrooms, I hadn't been anywhere else.

I stepped in and was greeted with Golden wall arches and red decorations, At the far end of the hall sat two big gold and red royal chairs, both looking as heavy as anything, The only sound coming from the room was my heels clicking against the wooden floor and stalking towards the chairs.

It looked like a church in here. I was just waiting for the priest to come out and deliver me from my sins, or however the line goes.

As I reached the chairs, I let my fingertips glide across the detailing, paying attention to every curve in the chair arm; they were stunning. A smile played on my face as I turned around and sat myself down on one of them, crossing my legs over and puffing my chest out, I felt powerful.

I closed my eyes and bathed in what it would feel like to sit in these exact seats. With the power I was shortly going to have, I was going to be able to bathe in this feeling for the rest of my life, until the heart beating faster than usual in my chest stopped. 

"Comfortable, are we?" A voice echoed as my eyes shot open and there stood at the end of the room, Prince Blaine. He was still in his commoner outfit but this time he had a smirk on his face as he made his way towards me.

"Oh, sorry, I was just-" as I stood up from the seat, soothing my backside so my dress wasn't hiked, he raised a hand, ordering me to stop.

"Sit." His demand made me raise an eyebrow, sending electricity down my body and a pulse between my legs. I had never been one to find such a thing, such a turn-on, but just watching him stalk towards me while commanding me to be itched something deep inside of me.

I watched him closely as he stood in front of me with his arms crossed; he hadn't ascended the stairs in front of me, For a minute, we stared at each other, waiting for someone to say something.

"Princess Caspian Lovett, your highness, may I please ascend the stairs?" He asked as he kneeled down, resting his arm on his bent knee. I bit down on my lip.Yup. This was definitely the life that I was willing to live. Sign me up and throw away the contract.