Chapter 8

It was twelve o'clock now, and Saphira was completely on her own. The last of the staff had left five minutes ago, and she had been startled by a loud sound echoing through the building. It sounded like a loud switch or something, and that was when the tablet screen turned on, on its own. That likely was the sound of the system switching to the night mode or something. She was not sure, but it made sense. Especially given how Mike had described the system to her between twelve and six in the morning. But at least Saphira knew that the last six hours of her first shift has started, and she now had to do her rounds at each door that needed to be checked.

Saphira stretched her limbs with a light yawn, as she knew that this first night would be a little bit hard since she didn't get enough sleep like she would have wanted. But she would be okay the next night. She stood up and fixed up her jacket and grabbed her flashlight before she walked out of the office to first check the back door. She placed her hand on the handle and shook the door. It did not sound like it was budging, which was good. Though Saphira did hope that the door would be easy to open for her when her shift ended.

Sighing deeply and backing away from the door, Saphira thought where to go next. She knew that the Loading Dock door was fine, since Mike checked it with her. But she needed to head in that direction for the kitchen anyway. She hummed softly to herself before walking back into the office for a moment to check the tablet. Nothing was showing errors or that it was offline at the moment, and she flicked through the cameras a little bit before walking back out of the office to make her way down the hallway.

The temperature within the building had dropped substantially at this point. She was comfortable with the jacket on, but she could still feel the temperature on the skin of her hands and face. She rubbed the back of her right hand as she walked down the hallway to the closet area, which she did not take her time in, as she walked by the storage closets to make her way to the other side. Upon entering the wider, longer, curved hallway, Saphira remained mindful of the pallets that were laying around to avoid tripping on them. She was glad Mike told her to be aware of this each night. Everything would likely be moved and she won't know until her next shift.

Though as she walked down the hallway, she noticed just how quiet the hallway was, aside from the echoes of her footsteps. She had not noticed before, but she was walking with Mike, and it certainly was not something that had bothered her. But it was noticeable now, and it was a little bit eerie. But Saphira was quick to brush that aside as she knew there was no one else in the building. At least, she hoped there were no trespassers already.

She hummed softly to herself as she followed the curve of the hallway to the Loading Docks. She opened the door into the large space, and shivered a little as it was a lot cooler here. There was likely less insulation here, which would not surprise her. She glanced at the side door briefly, a little tempted to check it again, but it was unnecessary since Mike had checked it while she was here. After all, the staff who work in the Loading Dock area had finished several hours prior.

Shrugging, she closed the door behind her and proceeded to walk across the room to the door on the other side. She glanced towards the door at the back of the Loading Docks, not knowing if she would ever walk through that door, as she could easily look into the first-aid room from the main dining room. She was just very glad that there was a proper first-aid room where people could have privacy, and there was easy access for an ambulance.

She glanced at the roller doors, glad that they were down completely tonight, though she would certainly need to check on her next shift to make sure they were down properly. She at least had one door checked off her list for the night. She opened the door leading into the dishwashing room, and she looked around at the sinks and machines curiously. Everything appeared to be clean, and dishes, cutlery and cooking utensils have been put away for the night. She shines her light on the floor to see if there was any water. Luckily, there was not, and Saphira proceeded towards the plastic curtain to head into the kitchen.