A Reason To Stay

Tony Thompson was adopted by a vampire hunter named Rookery when he was three years old. When he forces Tony to kill the vampire that took his nightmares away, the teenager panics.

NOTES; mild M rated, disclaimer, violence, heavy language and trauma themes, mature warning, keep it lighthearted, beware.

Tony Thompson's parents died in a car accident when he was three years old. He was in the vehicle with them when it happened, strapped tightly to his car seat while he watched shattered glass fly through the windshield. He had called out to his mom and dad for what seemed like hours, but only saw his parents' lifeless bodies, hanging limp from their seatbelts.

That day was something that he could never forget, he could never get out of his head, out of his dreams. He woke up screaming nearly every night.

He was put up for adoption because he didn't have any living relatives. The young boy was adopted by a raggy looking man named Rookery. He had slicked back silver hair and deep gray stubble. His hoop earring frightened Tony, but he was kind to him when the forms were being signed, he even ruffled Tony's hair and hugged him tightly.

"Everything's going to be okay, Tony," he had said to him with a crooked grin, his hooked nose bending with the smile. He smelled like garlic, and Tony eventually realized he always smelled like that.

The two lived in a small apartment complex full of crying babies up and down the cramped halls. They made Tony cry too, but Rookery yelled at him to shut up, leaving Tony to cower under his covers until Rookery came to apologize for his harshness.

The first thing Rookery did when Tony turned four was take him to Germany. He made Tony say tearful goodbyes to his friends in preschool, all the while saying, "Everything's going to be okay, Tony."

He had to leave everything behind in California, and was only able to bring a few items of clothing, and a stuffed cow he was given by his parents before the crash. The rest of the things Rookery brought he was forbidden to see.

On the plane, Rookery told him stories about things lurking in the Black Forest mountains. He told of all the wild animals, but most of all, vampires. The man gave detailed descriptions of their powers, their thrall, how they flew, and their fangs. God, the fangs were the part that terrified Tony most of all. Rookery said they were sharp and pointy and could sink into Tony's skin inches and inches, draining every last drop of life from him. He talked on and on until the small child was quivering in his seat, clutching his stuffed animal to his heart.

All Tony wanted was to be home again, in his parents' arms, safe from this strange man. He wasn't like a new father to Tony. He was like a person his mother always warned him not to talk to in public. Rookery scared Tony into silence. He only did what the man let him do.

When the two were inside the cab after the plane landed, Tony wanted to know how long they were away from their new house. He had tugged on Rookery's sleeve. "Daddy-"

Rookery threw Tony off his arm, and closed his hand around his wrist so tightly that it hurt. "You will never, ever call me Daddy, Dad or even Father. My name is Rookery, and you will call me Rookery. Understand?"

Tony let a frightened tear run down his cheek, nodding vigorously, but Rookery didn't loosen his grip. "I- I understand- you're- you're hurting me. Please, please let go."

Rookery gave Tony a tobacco stained grin. "Good," he released Tony and turned to look out the window, tapping his fingers on his dirty pewter jeans along with the music on the radio.

The pair lived in a little two-story blue house. Tony had his own room with a bookshelf and a little mobile. He even had a window seat with long, billowing curtains, where he could look out to the forest and rolling mountains from his little room. Tony was even allowed to go to the local school.