Chapter 13

Rudolph didn’t come back for nine days. Tony counted each and every dreadful hour. He cried himself to sleep on the nights that he lay awake waiting for the vampire that would not come.

His dreams were filled with Rudolph. He plagued Tony’s head with harsh words and gentle brushes of lips. Tony couldn’t go a single moment without thinking of what might have been; if he could have done something right to make Rudolph want to be with him. He began to bury himself in his schoolwork and his job, desperately attempting to detach himself from the boy that was not his. But all of that was done in vain. Nothing he thought of or did could jerk his attention away from his absent friend.

One evening, he had miserably trudged home from his job; walking now because he didn’t have Rookery’s truck anymore. He had fallen fast asleep after whipping through his homework, barely even stopping to think about the dark haired boy. 

He dreamt of a simple field full of wildflowers. Blades of grass danced about in the cool evening wind, the moonlight reflecting off the rippling plants. Tony tread lightly through the field, careful in his steps as he approached a silhouetted figure with his back turned to the blond. He was inches away from the boy, reaching out to touch him, to turn him around and see his face.

When Tony brushed his shoulder with his fingertips, the teenager spun around to gaze down at him, smiling. His monotone skin glinted purple in the shadows created by the moonlight, adorned in beautiful glittered eyeshadow and a white satin shirt. He immediately swept Tony up in his strong, muscular arms, dipping him low so that he could kiss him. When their lips touched, Tony knew the mysterious stranger was Rudolph. He swooned in his friend’s arms, feeling the tight hold on him as his mouth moved against the blond’s. It was welcoming and warm, trusting Tony with himself as the boy placed a tremulous hand on the back of his neck. Then Rudolph was letting go. He let Tony fall to the earth with a dull thud. He glanced over the mortal, scoffing. 

“Pathetic,” he sneered, kicking at the helpless teenager blinking up at him. “Why would I want such an insipid fool as yourself? Rookery was right about you. You're weak. You’re pathetic. I would sooner kiss that man than be with you. Why don’t you just leave already? Stop being so hopeful. It’s over.”

Rudolph caught the front of Tony’s shirt, scraping at his chest in the process. He wrenched him up, pulling the blond teenager with him as they bolted up into the sky. Tony screamed, flailing beside Rudolph as he tried to find stability, but the vampire was already letting go. He let Tony fall hundreds of feet, wailing his name as he quickly neared the pavement of the roads below. 

Tony awoke with a choked gasp to a loud rap at his bedroom window. His eyes flew open and he rolled over to peer at the neon red digits on his clock blaring 2:15. He shot up when a softer, almost uncertain tap came. 

Tony looked to the closed curtains, and with a painful ache in his chest he crawled out of bed, trying to smooth out his hair as he made his way to the window. His hands trembled as he pushed open the fabric, locking eyes with a frightened looking vampire. He paused, clutching tightly onto the heavy cloth. 

His eyebrows were knit together and he was running a hand anxiously through his ink-black hair. Tony’s heart caught in his throat. His mouth popped open for a moment, before he closed it again, reaching out to unlock the window with a painful hitch in his breath. 

The glass swung out with a high pitched screech, and Rudolph hesitated outside until the blond beckoned him in. He touched down silently onto the carpet, clearing his throat. The vampire opened his mouth to say something, but he quickly closed it again. 

They stood in uncomfortable silence, switching between staring at the floor and glancing at the other boy. At last, Tony decided to speak up. 

“I… thought you weren’t gonna come back.”