Chapter 22

Rudolph spent the next few following days holding Tony. He never seemed to let go. He never seemed to want to let go. 

When Tony would ask him about this, Rudolph pounced on his lips, their mouths meeting in a searing kiss leading to blissful fondling that caused the blond to shut up and promptly forget about it. 

So Tony spent the those days leading up to his final night as a mortal cuddled against Rudolph, reminiscing over faded memories they couldn't quite grasp, and old struggles that disappeared once they met each other. The vampire kept fiddling with Tony’s features. He cupped his cheeks, ran shaky fingers through his sandy blond hair, and gazed into his eyes for hours. He kept trying to listen to Tony’s heartbeat, pressing his ear or a hand against it, never stopping to answer when Tony asked him what he was doing. When he smiled, Rudolph flashed back a bittersweet one, reaching out to touch him again. He spent most of his time kissing the blond though, flicking his tongue around his mouth. Tony could tell he was trying to memorize his warmth- his human features. He didn’t mind. Whatever made Rudolph ready to turn him, he would let him do. Tony didn’t mind if he was bitten at any second, it only mattered to him if his boyfriend was ready or not. 

Then on the third day, the vampire returned to their room after having a long conversation with his parents- Tony had heard brief periods of muffled commotion coming from downstairs. He was slightly colored in the cheeks, but Tony brushed it off when he beamed at the blond as he drifted into the bedroom. 

“Come along darling,” he murmured, taking Tony’s hand. “I’m taking you out on a date tonight.”

“You what ?” Tony chuckled, allowing Rudolph to lead him out the window. “Shouldn’t we put something nice on?”

“Do you have any ‘nice’ clothes you are speaking of?” he asked, glancing up from navigating the streets below. 

“I guess not,” Tony couldn’t remember the last time he wore a suit: okay, he did rent one for graduation, but he didn’t actually own nice clothing. He had never had the need to own things like that when he was spending all his time being forced to hunt with Rookery. 

He’d never been on an actual date before. “I’ve never been on an actual date before,” he dumbly repeated out loud. Rudolph turned away from the road and stopped them in midair. He put his free hand on the back of Tony’s neck, pulling him in so that their mouths met momentarily. 

“It’ll be alright,” he whispered. Both boys pulled back smiling softly, and Rudolph gave the blond’s hand a gentle squeeze before they were off again. 

They flew for a few minutes more before landing at the back of a dark square building. The parking lot was nearly empty as they arrived, which was good because it meant there would be less people to possibly figure out that Rudolph was, in fact, a vampire. 

Rudolph held the frosted glass door open for Tony, smiling sweetly at him as the boy was bombarded by pleasant warmth and soft classical music. He felt his vampire grasp his hand once again, and lead him to the front desk where a chipper looking server smiled brightly at them. 

“How may I help you two tonight?” he asked. 

“We have a reservation under Sackville-Bagg,” he replied, giving Tony’s hand a quick squeeze. 

“O…kay,” the server said, checking his computer for their name. When he found it he immediately grabbed two large menus with red leather covers. The man placed the menus down on a small table near the back, far enough away from the other guests. Rudolph pulled out a chair and motioned for Tony to sit in it, smiling kindly at him. As his boyfriend seated himself, Tony noticed the small candle in the center of the table, flickering brightly on the white tablecloth. The blond beamed at Rudolph. He was so utterly happy with him, and he was so glad he would be with him for the rest of his days.