Chapter 8

Tony's breath caught in his throat as the two flew into view of a large rustic castle sitting on the top of a mountain. Its large front walk was clustered with vampires, all murmuring, too deep in conversation to notice the pair hovering above the estate. The rising silver moon cast their faces in an ethereal white glow, dramatically showcasing their thin, bony complexions.

Tony wondered for a second how he and Rookery hadn't found this place sooner, because every vampire for what seemed like miles was gathered in just the roundabout drive.

"Okay," Rudolph said as they came upon the entrance to the large castle. "We're going to go in, but before we do that, are you absolutely sure you want to do this? I'm already late to my own birthday party, I can take you home if you really want to, if you're not up to this, I mean."

"Of course I want to do this, dude!" he said, squeezing the dark haired boy's hand reassuringly. "I want to have a little fun before I gotta go back to school and work and everything. Plus, I get to spend the whole night with you!" Rudolph smiled softly at the boy, flushing a bit as he began to push open the door.

"Okay," he took a shaky breath. "Let's get this over with."

Upon entering through the thick oak doors, Tony was bombarded with a dull classical music that made the Bach they had listened to on the radio in his truck seem light and carefree. He understood immediately why the vampire had settled with that particular music.

They hovered into the front hall, stopping in place when they approached three irritated looking vampires. They each stood stock straight, their arms folded tightly against their chests.

"That's my father, mother and sister," Rudolph whispered softly into Tony's ear. "They don't look happy, but that's okay, they're only angry with me. Just act natural."

Tony gave the vampire a short nod as the man who appeared to be Rudolph's father approached the boys.

"Rudolph? Where have you been? We sent your auntie to her coffin already because you never showed up!" he bellowed, and Tony could have sworn he saw his friend flinch when the man spoke. "Don't you understand how important this celebration is for you? Three hundred and eighteen years, Rudolph! Three hundred and eighteen! And where have you been all this time? Aha! Have you been outside again?"

"Yes- s- sorry... sir, but I wasn't very far away."

"Oh, hell, Rudolph! You know that's not the point," he flew over swiftly, taking the two by surprise when he wrenched Rudolph by the arm, lurching the pair forward. Then the vampire's father caught a glimpse of Tony, stopping in his tracks. "And who might this be?"

"Oh, uhm, yeah! This," the younger vampire gestured towards Tony, "is Tony."

The blond nodded his head curtly at the three, smiling. "Tony Thompson, pleasure to meet you all."

The older vampire only grunted, basically ignoring Tony. He turned to his son again, tightening his grip on his arm. "Where on earth did you find such an odd vampire clan? I've surely never heard of them."

Tony began to panic, looking to Rudolph. He wanted to do something, but he knew that he wouldn't help, and he would probably only be ignored. Just then, though, he felt his friend give his hand a reassuring squeeze before speaking up.

"I- I found him when I was flying through... Norway. Yes, I believe I was, right Tony?" the blond teenager nodded, grinning. "His clan welcomed me in when it was almost dawn. That's where I met him. He was turned into a vampire many centuries ago, and his family stayed in hiding for so long that he... lost the ability to fly."

Tony fought to look somber as he started to smile at Rudolph's quick thinking. He loved how clever Rudolph was. He was so wonderfully calm under pressure. His father looked between the two with suspicion, but he seemed to dismiss it for now.