VIII

»»————- ♔ ————-««

Suzy walks out of the restaurant with her head down, a look of annoyance plastered across her face.

She was fed up with the constant judgment and criticism that her mom had faced all night when she knew it's all a lie her mom made up or was it truly a lie?

Shanna follows close behind, trying to comfort her daughter and figure out what was bothering her. But as she reaches out and touches Suzy's arm, Suzy pulls away, her eyes filling with anger.

"Leave me alone, mom. I just want to be left alone." she snaps, her voice laced with anger and frustration.

Shanna didn't push the issue, but instead she followed silently behind Suzy, waiting for her to calm down and be ready to talk.

As the car pulled away from the restaurant, Suzy sat in silence, staring out the window as the cityscape passed by.

The night air was cool on her face, but she didn't feel it. Her mind was racing, her heart heavy with  frustration.

Shanna drove in silence, unsure of what to say or do. She could feel the tension in the car, could sense the pain and hurt that Suzy was feeling.

As she turned a corner, she heard a soft sob coming from the backseat.

At first, Shanna wasn't sure if she'd actually heard it. She had been so wrapped up in her own thoughts that she hadn't paid attention to the sounds around her. But as she shifted in her seat, the sob came again, a soft, painful sound that sliced through the silence.

Shanna sighed, feeling a lump form in her throat. She had never wanted to see her daughter in so much pain, and it hurt her to know that she was the one causing it.

She reached out, placing a hand on Suzy's shoulder, and squeezed gently.

"I'm so sorry, honey," she said quietly, not sure if Suzy could even hear her. "I didn't want to hurt you, I..."

She trailed off, not sure what else to say. Suzy continued to stare out the window, her eyes dry but her face contorted with emotion.

She didn't want to talk, didn't even want to look at her mom.

Shanna drove on, feeling the guilt and shame weighing heavily on her shoulders.

Suzy took a deep breath, trying to steady her voice.

"How long are you going to keep lying to me?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Shanna's mind raced, trying to understand what her daughter was talking about.

She didn't want to lie to Suzy, she didn't want to hurt her in any way. But she didn't know what Suzy meant, didn't know what she had done wrong.

"Suzy, I would never lie to you," she said, her voice shaking.

"I would never do anything to hurt you. What do you mean?"

With each word, Suzy's anger and frustration seemed to grow, but Shanna didn't know what else to say.

She didn't want to hurt Suzy, but she didn't know how to explain herself without hurting her.

"Mom, don't you get it?" Suzy said, her voice rising.

"I'm not stupid. I know what's going on."

Shanna closed her eyes, feeling the tears well up in them. "You're not stupid, Suzy," she said, her voice breaking. "I just don't know what you mean."

Suzy took a deep breath, her anger and frustration easing slightly.

"The truth behind my birth."

                 »»————- ♔ ————-««