♫♪♫ Chapter Nine ♫♪♫

We spend the next two hours talking, singing together, and laughing. It feels like we're just two friends hanging out, having nothing better to do in the middle of the night.

I have to remember, though, I'm not Patrick's friend. I'm just a lucky fan.

"I got a feeling inside that I can't domesticate, it doesn't wanna live in a cage, a feeling that I can't housebreak. I'm yours 'til the earth starts to crumble and the heavens roll away, I'm struggling to exist with you, and without you..." He looks right into my eyes as he sings.

I can't help but smile the whole time. I can't believe that the sun is already rising in the distance. I'm enjoying this so much, but I know we're going to have to leave here soon. I'm absolutely dreading the drive home. At least I'll be able to get a little bit of sleep before we have to check out of the hotel.

When Patrick finishes singing "Bishops Knife Trick," he sighs. "Are you sure you don't want to play something? I wouldn't mind hearing someone on the other side of the guitar for once."

I sigh as well, "I mean, I'm sure your voice is tired after the two long shows you did tonight, the one show being earlier and the second one being here on this breakwater." I chuckle, "I suppose I can attempt something, but I promise you I won't sound as great."

He smiles as he hands me the guitar, "I'm sure you'll do excellent. Unfortunately, though, I should probably get going afterwards."

I nod as I grab it and adjust it, "I know, me too. I can't believe it's light out already. The time has just flown by." I take a deep breath, and begin strumming. Don't fuck up, Haley, you're performing for Patrick fucking Stump. "Here we stand, worlds apart hearts broken in two, two, two."

"Ooh, I love this song." He smiles and watches me as I carefully strum the guitar strings. I instantly feel nervous, but carry on nonetheless.

"Sleepless nights, like tonight," I add on the two words with a smile and he chuckles, "Losing ground I'm reaching for you, you, you. Feeling that it's gone, can't change your mind. If we can't go on to survive the tide, love divides."

I'm pleasantly surprised when he joins in to harmonize, "Some day love will find you, break those chains that bind you, one night will remind you how we touched and went our separate ways. If he ever hurts you, true love won't desert you," I make eye contact with him as I sing the next part, "you know I still love you, though we touched and went our separate ways."

I strum one last time, and blush when Patrick literally starts clapping, "You're so good, Haley."

I hand him his guitar back, "Thank you, Patrick. That means a lot coming from you, you're insanely talented...I just hope you didn't want me to sing one of your songs." I say as he puts it back in its case.

"Nah, I think I've heard enough of Fall Out Boy for awhile." He chuckles as he stands up. He then reaches his hand down to help me to my feet.

I gladly take it and stand up, "Remember, I will happily play a song from 'Soul Punk' or 'Truant Wave' any time you'd like, I'll send you a video." I say with a smile.

He chuckles and picks his guitar case up, "You've gotta be one of the sweetest fans I've ever met. You have no idea how nice it was spending the past couple hours with you. Hearing that you enjoyed my solo career stuff makes me so happy."

"Aw, Patrick," I say and can't help but smile big. "I agree, it was really nice just being able to get to know you more. We should...we should do it again sometime." I say the last part quietly, not sure if he would agree with me or not.

"We will," He says as he puts his hand on my back and we start making our way towards the beach, "I promise."

I feel a wave of sadness wash over me, knowing that this magical night is almost over. However, I'm so grateful that he promises to see me again. I just hope that it's sooner than later, but living five hours apart might make it hard. I'll just have to soak up every moment we get together in the future.

Once we reach my car, I sigh and turn to face him, not knowing what to say.

He looks down at me and gives me a small smile, "I'm assuming you're staying in a hotel and you're not gonna drive all the way home now?"

I nod, "Yeah, there's no way I'd be able to drive for five hours after not sleeping."

"Good." He smiles and sets his guitar case down to pull me in for a hug.

I lean into him, and I feel him rest his head on my shoulder. This is literally the best feeling in the world, and I hate that I can't just hold him forever. I take a deep breath to prevent myself from crying. "Thank you," I say quietly, "for giving me the best night of my life."

"Thank you, for being here to listen to me. What I said earlier about you not being more than just a fan...I feel bad, especially after spending all this time with you and venting to you. You're more like a friend now."

I smile and squeeze him a bit tighter before letting him go, "It's okay. You know I'm more than happy to listen to you any time you want to talk, Patrick. I'm sure any fan would."

He shrugs, "Yeah, but it wouldn't be the same. I couldn't trust them to not post about whatever I'm telling them."

"Yeah, that's true. Honestly, I'm still not quite sure why you trust me, but I can assure you I won't break that trust. Some things just don't need to be made public."

"When you didn't post those pictures of us that first night we met, that kind of set you apart from the others. Knowing that you didn't publicly tweet something like, 'oh my god, Patrick kissed my cheek at the meet and greet and then I ran into him at QuikTrip, it must be fate!' That made me realize you were pretty chill."

I chuckle at his impression of a fangirl, "I mean, like I said, I don't need to show everyone how lucky I got that night. It's just between me and you...and my best friend, I guess. God, I shouldn't have told her anything. I hope she doesn't hound me with questions as soon as I get back."

He looks down with a small smile, "I mean, if one of the guys was meeting a fan, I'd probably want to know all about what happened, too. I just know they wouldn't be telling the whole world about what was said or done."

"Right, and I know she won't, either. She's just fantasizing about us dating, so her and the band can be best friends."

He chuckles, "Isn't that every fan's dream? To become best friends with the band?"

I shrug, "I mean, just meeting the band was my biggest dream come true. To outwardly say something like 'I hope I get to be best friends with them,' seems a little weird. I won't judge her too much for wanting that, though, you guys do seem pretty cool."

He chuckles, then just looks at me and slightly shakes his head, "You know how to say all the right things. You're every musician's dream fan. Perfectly passionate, yet not obsessive."

I smile and look down, "Thank you. That means a lot." I'm unsure of what to say next, and I don't want to be the first to say goodbye.

"Haley," He says and tilts my chin up so my eyes meet his, and I feel my heart flutter.

Now, I did say that I would never intentionally overstep any boundaries. However, if Patrick is the one making the first move, I obviously would have no problem with that.

So, when he leans down to kiss me, I don't pull back.

His hand moves from my chin to the side of my face, and his other hand goes to my back.

I want to do something with my hands, for Pete's sake, but I'm also afraid he'll pull back and say that him kissing me was a mistake.

He leans back, "I'm sorry, I don't want you to be uncomfortable."

"No," I say almost straightaway and decide to just hug him again, "I promise you, I'm not. I just didn't want to do the wrong thing. Dammit." I whisper the curse word.

He wraps his arms around me tight, and kisses my forehead, "Honey, I don't think you could do anything wrong."