21-28

Chapter 21: Evil person, nasty bastard (1)

Friday, well 8 PM.

All matches of the first-year second-semester practical evaluation have come to an end.

Students and staff poured out of the large dome stadium.

"As expected, this is the best class in the academy's history. Why are there so many talented students in the Hero Department?"

"Well, isn't that good for us? I heard from our graduated seniors that there weren't many decent students in their class, so the competition for aides was fierce."

"I thought Neike would win easily, but I didn't expect Piel to put up such a fight. How did she lose with just 5 seconds left... It's such a shame. If she had held on for 5 more seconds, it would have been a draw."

"Ugh, I'm starving! Let's go eat something. The sandwiches sold at the stadium just don't fill me up."

"Alright, let's hurry. If we're even a bit late, there won't be any seats left."

"Max is definitely worth recruiting. I've never seen such defensive ability among first-years."

"Yes, just attach one smart aide, and it should be enough, officer."

Many people exchanged various stories.

There were many close matches, and with the holidays starting tomorrow, most of them looked relaxed.

Mina, walking among them, glanced at Irene, who was walking weakly beside her.

'She still seems down.'

The reason was easy to guess.

Her victorious fiancé had disappeared without showing his face.

'But did she like her fiancé that much? I thought it was just a strategic marriage. She's always in the training hall, never mentioned her engagement to anyone, and I've never heard of them going on dates.'

The carriage is coming, she urged Irene on.

"Irene, let's hurry. If we miss it, we'll have to wait at least another 30 minutes."

" Okay."

Clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop-.

Fortunately, the two of them boarded the 45-seater carriage parked at the Hero Department's main gate just in time.

Since they were quick, they were able to find seats.

[ The carriage to the academy's main gate will now depart.]

Clatter, clatter─.

The running carriage was filled with the noisy chatter of students.

Mina tried to engage Irene, who was blankly staring out the window, in various conversations.

Like the other students, she asked about today's practical evaluation and what they were going to eat for dinner.

However,

" I'll skip dinner. I'm not feeling well."

Irene just replied weakly.

She felt her patience being tested but held back.

'Fine, she must have something she can't talk about. Maybe they had a big fight.'

Love is something the two parties should handle on their own.

Suddenly, she had a doubt.

'But if her fiancé just disappeared without showing his face, shouldn't she be angry? She should be badmouthing him to others, saying he's the worst.'