43-49

Chapter 43: See You on Friday (2)

"Try some, Theo. It's a treat from a famous dessert shop."

"I'm not thirsty."

"...It's really delicious."

Mari looked slightly disappointed but took a sip of her mint chocolate latte and picked up a piece of chocolate to eat.

"...."

"Eating sweets can clear your mind. You should give it a try, Theo. It's a special gift from the owner of a shop I know. They only sell a limited amount, even when customers are willing to pay any price."

While I understood her point, it didn't appeal to me.

I had lost my appetite.

"No, thank you. I'm fine."

"Alright..."

After Mari's disheartened response, silence fell over the faculty room.

The room grew quiet.

'I do feel bad.'

I knew it was impolite to keep refusing someone's kindness.

But if it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right.

I reminded myself of the initial goal I had set.

'I'm here to assist Mari with her research to get her to owe me.'

Breaking the long silence, I spoke up.

"By the way, I'm surprised you found the time to come here. You seem quite busy."

"Hmm, I'm not busy yet. Do I look busy to you?"

"You're dressed as if you're attending a formal event today."

I refrained from making any potentially rude comments about her makeup or the effort she put into it.

I believe it's healthy to maintain a certain level of distance, even with those I consider to be on my side.

Mari shrugged.

"It's not really a formal event. It's a Hero Association meeting. All sorts of people there argue about who's right and who's wrong. Ah, just thinking about it gives me a headache. Maybe I shouldn't go?"

"No, you should definitely attend if it's an association meeting. You must be busy, so let's get straight to the point. Please update me on the progress of your research."

"Oh, so this is how it should be applied... Am I correct, Theo?"

Mari looked at me, her eyes wide with surprise.

"Yes. As expected, you grasp it instantly, Mari. As I mentioned earlier, unless the herd's leader is top-tier, this method will undoubtedly work. After eliminating the majority of the monsters this way, a small group can complete the task."

"Hmm, hmm, hmm. I see..."

Mari nodded repeatedly.

'The youngest professor in the Hero Department is certainly not there by mere luck.'